The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
've been thinking about a school of small fish for my next tank a 40g. I have several 20Ls running with Crypts, Java ferns, Taiwan moss, Water Lettuce and hornwort growing out for that tank, one has a colony of RCS. I was in PetSmart last night, they had Cherry barbs 1/2 off ($1.26). I happen to now the young woman that runs that dept. She has several tanks of her own and has very high standards for her dept.

I looked in the holding tank and notice two gravid females, ready to drop eggs. She tells me they came in the day before and the two nicer males had been there a few weeks. Normally I only get fish from 1 LFS, club auctions or forum members I know. This was just ment to be. Ready made, conditioned breeding trio, open tank space at home, under $5.

1 hour after assimilation, they look great. Those tanks aren't lite until midmorning...looking forward to see how the 1st night went.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can live with shoal :icon_lol: If they swarm the flake food like an angry bunch of hornets as my Mbuna used to do I'll like them just fine.

I take no credit for them spawning. All I did was pick two ripe females & a nice male and do the introductions. :wink: I just checked them lots of chasing but the females still look full. I sent a good hour hunting down all the Red Ramshorns and plucking them from that tank.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the females look thin now. I tried in vain to pull them with out trashing the plants...NOT happing. This was so much easier with African Cichlids in a bare breeder tanks. :icon_roll

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
They'll eat them as fast as they can lay them. If you want to breed these guys, next time move them to a breeding tank with where you can catch the adults easily.
You might have one or two eggs that survived.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, that is pretty obvious now. I've got a 10gl. I can set up for breeding. I'm sure by time I catch either the male or the girls it will be ready. :wink:

In the mean time I have a breeder net set up. I want to split them up and condition them for breeding. Then in a few weeks I'll try again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.