The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
True or False?
Cherry Barbs can make a shy group of Kuhli Loaches feel more secure in the aquarium, group being 6+ specimens.

Have you ever heard of Kuhli Loaches feeling more secure if there are Cherry Barbs in the tank with them? I ran across this once researching Kuhli Loach care, noted it for later, but since haven't been able to find anymore information regarding this.

Anyone have Kuhlis with Cherry Barbs? Could you share your experience keeping these two species together?

·
Registered
293 Posts
True or False?
Cherry Barbs can make a shy group of Kuhli Loaches feel more secure in the aquarium,
True. It's not just Cherry Barbs though, it's any fish, especially schooling, that live in the middle to upper level of the water column. They are often referred to as dither fish. If the dithers are out in the open, then the 'shy' fish (not just kuhlies) are more likely to come out because there are no predators near. Pretty good survival technique, huh?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
The best way I find to get fish out and about seems just the opposite of what many want to use. Some people who want to see their fish take hiding spots away. I find it works the other way. If fish know they are near cover and can hide quickly if threatened, they will come out. If they can't find a hiding spot, they are just scared all the time and may try to burrow into the substrate.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I agree when provided with lots of driftwood or caves they hardly ever hid. during feeding time they were out in full force. i had mine with mollies and guppies. If they are shy feeders offer frozen bloodworms.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True. It's not just Cherry Barbs though, it's any fish, especially schooling, that live in the middle to upper level of the water column. They are often referred to as dither fish. If the dithers are out in the open, then the 'shy' fish (not just kuhlies) are more likely to come out because there are no predators near. Pretty good survival technique, huh?
Okay. Well that's nice because although Cherry Barbs are nice looking, I prefer schooling fish over shoalers. Would a bottom-mid level schooler like Rummynose be a bad choice since they prefer bottom to mid levels?

The best way I find to get fish out and about seems just the opposite of what many want to use. Some people who want to see their fish take hiding spots away. I find it works the other way. If fish know they are near cover and can hide quickly if threatened, they will come out. If they can't find a hiding spot, they are just scared all the time and may try to burrow into the substrate.
Oh me to! I've seen the same with fish I've kept. Even the nocternal species come out through out the day if there are ample hiding spots to retreat to quickly.

I agree when provided with lots of driftwood or caves they hardly ever hid. during feeding time they were out in full force. i had mine with mollies and guppies. If they are shy feeders offer frozen bloodworms.
Nice tip. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Give the kuhli's plenty of cover and they'll be seen more often. I will often see mine traversing through my crypt forest.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Would a bottom-mid level schooler like Rummynose be a bad choice since they prefer bottom to mid levels?
Nope. Just depends on the size of your tank.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts