The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I know there is no 100% shrimp safe fish out there besides Oto's. How well do Cherry Barbs fair with Cherry Shrimp though? Currently, I keep Golden White Cloud Minnows with my RCS in my 33 long pretty heavily planted, and they do really well together. The WCMM's don't bother the shrimp.

I thought about adding a school of Cherry Barbs, but I don't really want to do this if it will make my shrimp population extinct lol I have lots of smaller RCS in the tank that I want to get bigger as well as some adult sized ones.

Also, side note, I do have mostly bright red colored RCS, but I have a few of them that are almost completely clear. Why is this? poor genetics? Are they essentially like the mutts of the group?

·
Super Moderator
15,775 Posts
Cherry Barbs, like any fish, will eat whatever can fit in their mouth. They're also - in my experience - quite a bit more aggressive than something like White Clouds. So if you don't want to risk your shrimp population, I'm not sure I'd risk it.

Regarding shrimp coloration - it's not poor genetics. It's just genetics. Clear, brown, other muddled colorations are more natural in the wild. The only way to keep really red colonies is to remove any you don't find suitable. I like to keep separate tanks for them because wild types are awesome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts