The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I turned my shrimp tank light on just to take a peek before bed. I was scanning to see if I could see any of my Dwarf Cajan Crayfish. And on a piece of moss I [finally] saw a tiny shrimplet. I knew I had preggy females as every female I saw had yellow eggs I just could not find the tiny babies. But I noticed today alot of the shimp babies ae hiding in the moss wall :hihi:
So yea alot of cherry shrimp babies and still alot of eggs. These will be my first baby shrimp

I back behind the baby cherry shrimp on a Anubias leaf I saw one of the big female Cajan cray [which is rare to see] they love to hide behind the bogwood and in the tall vals. But under the tail I saw many black eggs. Which I was totally surprised after I read about rasing/breeding them, and how its better to have the females and males separte and about the phases of the male I figured I would Never have Cray eggs.

So now I have cherry shrimplets and dwarf Cajan crayfish eggs :bounce:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Generally 3-4 weeks for the eggs to hatch, then a couple more for the young to make the transition from larvae to independent juvies.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
All in FW then?

What do the larvae look like? I saw a female carrying eggs a while ago, and then one day, they disappeared...so can I assume she dropped the eggs, or arey they in the larvae stage?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ya, all in FW, crayfish don't require salt. The larvae stay with the mother until they are finished developing. I have orange dwarf crayfish currently carrying eggs, and one that was carrying eggs that also disappeared. I don't know whether the female dropped them after several weeks, or the 12 new crayfish I added to the tank wewre the cause of the MIA's. After spending a week bagged and boxed I suspect they were quite hungry, and may have devoured the little ones. That was some weeks ago, they're all better-fed now, and I'm hoping to see some juvies this time around. Incidentally, the juvie crayfish will be about the same size as newly hatched shrimp. Be very careful when cleaning the tank...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.