The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i dunno what caused this but i guess atfer breeding over and over the gene for the natural colors finally was able express itself. but i was looing in my tank with the cherries and saw a brown one, then another, and another. so i found maybe 5-6 natural colored cherry shrimp. its pretty darn neat to me. i will try to get a picture of them to show just what i mean

·
Registered
974 Posts
That has happened to me as well. I try to take out any that I've seen revert and place them in another tank. Otherwise you will have higher and higher percentage of wild form shrimp. The females have dark eggs as opposed to the yellow eggs of the 'red' variety.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Interestingly enough I am experiencing the same case. After about a year of inbreeding I noticed a color change in my newest generation of adult females. Since I just put on a small penguin filter into my shrimp tank ans added flow all my shrimp have been swimming like crazy. SInce I can now view them more easily I have about 6-7 purplish/blueish female cherries. Not exactly brown but definatley not the red they sued to be.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've seen brown shrimp in my cherry colony from time to time. I pull them out and put them their own tanks where they can make more brown shrimp. I haven't seen any in the cherry tank for a while though.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
. SInce I can now view them more easily I have about 6-7 purplish/blueish female cherries. Not exactly brown but definatley not the red they sued to be.
I find the purples really nice color! I have some of them.. Anyone else getting yellow tinted males? I'm slowly working with those... Female colors are still the same though!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Interestingly, the normal wild coloration of any animal tends to be dominant and over time the population will revert to it. For instance, if I were to have a large flock of free breeding budgerigars (parakeets) in all the fancy colors, blues, pieds, lutinos, etc., and allowed them to breed with no intervention eventually the flock would revert to the wild green color. Just some trivia to throw out there :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts