The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i bought 5 cherries form my lfs and all of them had clear heads. a few in the store had a almost greenish tinge inside of them like an amano when pregnant, and fertilized for the next batch. does this mean my cherrie is pregnant ?

·
Banned
582 Posts
The clear heads may have simply been from lack of color from stress or an indication of young shrimp.

Did the shrimp have a green saddle instead of yellow? Was the shrimp carrying green eggs instead of yellow eggs? Green eggs instead of yellow eggs either in the ovaries or in the swimmerets usually means those shrimplets will be brown RCS.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
really?! Green eggs mean brown RCS? I have one red cherry, who is nice and red, with a green saddle.

I also had the grand mother of my RCS population get green eggs, which turned green afterward.

I guess noone knows what green eggs mean. People say it means unfertilized, but I think that females only release eggs at once they mate, because I had a red cherry without males, and she never made eggs.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have RCS that carry both green and yellow eggs and none of their offspring are brown. Like sandiegoryu stated, there is no definitive info out there (yet) as to what the green vs. yellow eggs mean. All I can say is that with my RCS that carry green eggs, I don't get brown RCS.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but could the green mean that they just had their fair share of green algae?

I know that when I feed my fry nice, red BBS, I can see their bellies get red right after they eat...maybe this is the case? Maybe not?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i must have worded this wrong. Not green eggs not yellow eggs. they cherrries are perfectly plump and red healthy and swimming around. what i was wondering, is the "internal" tract "branish thing inside of the head/ long pathway to where the poo comes outta" its yelllowish green. if you have ever seen a pregnat amano thats already fertilized for the next batch, her "branish thing inside of the head/ long pathway to where the poo comes outta" is orangeish yellow. i was wondering if this is a sign she is pregnant.

P.S. shes not carring eggs, shes deffinatly not carrying yellow or green eggs either.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
yes that I think by your description is called the saddle. It means your female is mature enough to get eggs. While she is carrying eggs, she will not have the saddle. The saddle is pretty much your eggs in liquid form I guess.

Otherwise, if you're looking a the poo tract, its probably eaten algae. The poo tract is also present in males, so if you don't see the color in males, its probably the saddle you're looking at.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help good news hopefully ill have my self a few preggie cherries soon:bounce:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts