The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 days ago I saw one of my fire reds upside down and looking white. I thought it was molting so I watched it. The fish started picking at it and it would start swimming crazy. Later on it was not moving and was dead.

2 days later another dead one.

This morning 2 dead ones.

I recently moved them into a bigger tank with Mineralized Top Soil and got a little burst of green water. The old tank was 15g, new one is 40g. About 10% of the 40g's water came from the 15g, also the filter media was moved with the tank. There is 14 neon tetras in there along with 30 endlers and there was 50 fire red shrimp.

My temp is fine. Ph is always around 6.8-7. The drop checker color doesn't change. The nirate nirite and ammonia are all at 0.

So what else should I look for?

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Perhaps the fish are constantly harassing the RCS until it becomes too stressed and dies? This might be the case as you said the fish were picking at it while it was lying on its back. Have you been feeding the fish well? I have never had endlers myself but I know that neon's will definitely eat baby shrimp and harass adults. Are the shrimp all hiding or are they all wandering around the tank?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shrimp run all over. So far the dead shrimp are all about 3/4-1" females. My neons are all about 1to1-1/4" long and yes I feed them.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Since only the larger ones are dying it could be that they are dying from the shock of the transfer. All the smaller/younger ones are adapting well? Were the water parameters close between your old 15g and new 40g? Other besides it seems like everything else is fine.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Sounds like the older shrimp aren't not adjusting well to new tank. It happens when the new tank condition are not close to the old one. I wouldn't worried about it, since you got like 50 of them. In a month or so you'll have plenty of babies. Except you might not be able to see them because they are hiding from the endlers and neons. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.