The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the blue ich treatment will turn silicone blue and ultimately ruin a really nice rimless tank. Are there any other somewhat “common” aquarium chemicals/treatments, etc. to be aware of that do the same?

I plan on reading directions on whatever I put in the tank, but trying to avoid a stupid mistake none the less. Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
The malachite green in Ich-X stained the seams of my quarantine tank a pretty aqua color, but that's a super budget tank with lots of extra silicone exposed to the water. I'm not sure how much silicone actually touches the water of my UNS tank, so it might not be that noticeable. Also I'm not sure how permanent the stain is - it definitely faded after treatment, but it's put away now and I don't remember how much. It worked great on the ich, but I would be worried about using it in my main display tank for that reason.

Edit: to be clear, I don't think the tank would be totally ruined, but it might bother me if it stained the seams at all. But it's possible that it would be fine! My QT set up was >$50 for the entire thing though, well worth the piece of mind of not having disease in my main tank, nevermind the possible stains.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have a suspicion an off brand fertilizer temporarily stained my seams brownish purple but it disappeared after a month even though I continued use so I have no proof. Some fertilizers use aquarium safe dyes for simplification in identification, those might dye silicone. I have no first hand concrete evidence against anything except malachite green and it's blue counter part.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Potassium Permanganate stains badly. It takes a very small amount to stain things. It stains things purple. I think the "per" in Permanganate stands for permanent. As in you will never ever be able to get the stain out. I put some in a reagent bottle with a ground glass stopper and it permanently stained the ground glass part of the bottle. It also permanently stained the silicone on one of my aquariums. It is a dangerously strong oxidant to boot. Which I guess means it can burn your house down if your cat tips over an accidently left open container of Potassium Permanganate while you're away from home. The smallest concentration of it in your aquarium will kill your fish. It is a good disinfectant and net dip if you like the color purple.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.