The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pleased to report that after my 9 day vacation, I come home today and my tank is doing just fine. It looks like all of my fish survived. I was giving them a minimal amount of food (a few pinches) from my auto fish feeder. The water evaporated 1.75 inches in my 29 gallon tank, which I calculated to be 1.6 gallons. So now i have a baseline of how much my tank evaporates per day which is good to know. My plants are very very overgrown so they will be getting trimmed tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am pleased to report that after my 9 day vacation, I come home today and my tank is doing just fine. It looks like all of my fish survived. I was giving them a minimal amount of food (a few pinches) from my auto fish feeder. The water evaporated 1.75 inches in my 29 gallon tank, which I calculated to be 1.6 gallons. So now i have a baseline of how much my tank evaporates per day which is good to know. My plants are very very overgrown so they will be getting trimmed tomorrow. :)
I'm assuming the humidity in your house changes year-round, so chances are your evaporation rates will change throughout the year. I live in DC and run a de-humidifier year-round in my basement. In the summer I have to dump the water every day (about 2 gallons) b/c the air is so humid. In the winter I'm lucky if I have to dump it weekly. I'm guessing that your tank would evaporate less water in the summer when it's more humid.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you run CO2? Most fish have no problem going a couple of weeks with no food.
No I don't run CO2. I have a correction to make, it appears that one of my dwarf gouramis didn't make it and I can't find a body. It was most likely devoured by the snails. I fed the fish today and only 4 gouramis came out for food. RIP little guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.