The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Bump? I need to know before I go out. I can probably wingle some extra money out of my mom if it is nessecary!
PM me your address, I'll send you one......DC

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yes I recommend a check valve, and simple plastic one should suffice. they cost 1.99 the last time I went to petsmart.

If you don't have a checkvalve, you may have too much back pressure, and all your yeast would go into your tank and have it all over your floor etc. Smells like bread and alcohol. Not a nice smell.

Edit: Ninja'd lol!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I recommend a check valve, and simple plastic one should suffice. they cost 1.99 the last time I went to petsmart.

If you don't have a checkvalve, you may have too much back pressure, and all your yeast would go into your tank and have it all over your floor etc. Smells like bread and alcohol. Not a nice smell.

Edit: Ninja'd lol!
What is Ninja's. I seen this in a lot of threads.

I was thinking something like that would happen. Here is my recipe, Im using a 3ltr cause that is what I have on hand:

2 1/2 cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Yeast
Water(hehe)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
ninjas are when you are writing a response to your post, and when you click reply, someone posted before you while you were actually typing it up. Usually done in the same minute.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Also I think 1 1/2 teaspoons is too much. I remember on many guides they would say start with 1/4 of a teaspoon and increase decrease your sugar or yeast recipe the next time. How many gallons is your tank and how much volume can your bottle hold?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Definitely start with 1/4 tsp(teaspoon). That is what I use in a 2 litre w/ 2 cups of sugar. See where that gets you and maybe try 1/2 tsp next time. More yeast will give you more co2 at the beggining, but will peater out faster. You're lucky there are some kind folks in Greenwood Indiana:wink:

·
Registered
517 Posts
that's weak sauce haha, checkvalves are cheap! i have 3 or 4 laying around, but since someone is alreading sending it to you maybe next time then.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, they raised there price at petsmart. I seen them for like 2.99 and its for a small blue one. :eek:. I am happy I found this site. Everyone that helped me out by sending me something or giving me info, you are going to get something greater. It may come as a surprise but you will get something great. I am very grateful and appreciate everyone that had given me items(Yoink, Wilder, DiabloCanine) and for those that sold me things(NeonShrimp), and those who gave me valuable information. I appreciate you all!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know it's a little late now, but thought I would mention that if the bottles are stored above the height of the tank the need for check valves is greatly reduced as there is less chance of water going up the hose fighting gravity the whole way. There is still a small chance of water flowing back to the bottle if the atmospheric pressure outside the bottle increases to be larger than the pressure inside the bottle. This happens when your bottle runs out of CO2 on a low pressure day, and you don't notice until a high pressure day.

Your barometric pressure probably doesn't vary more than 2.0 inches of mercury from one extreme to the other which converts to which converts to 27 inches of water column. So you'd need a height above the tank water level of atleast 27 inches to completely eliminate this possibility and the need for a check valve.

I've also found that as the check valves get wet from tank water they tend to get a build up on them that causes them to get stuck and fail. I highly suggest keeping the check valve as high as possible above the tank water level.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know it's a little late now, but thought I would mention that if the bottles are stored above the height of the tank the need for check valves is greatly reduced as there is less chance of water going up the hose fighting gravity the whole way. There is still a small chance of water flowing back to the bottle if the atmospheric pressure outside the bottle increases to be larger than the pressure inside the bottle. This happens when your bottle runs out of CO2 on a low pressure day, and you don't notice until a high pressure day.

Your barometric pressure probably doesn't vary more than 2.0 inches of mercury from one extreme to the other which converts to which converts to 27 inches of water column. So you'd need a height above the tank water level of atleast 27 inches to completely eliminate this possibility and the need for a check valve.

I've also found that as the check valves get wet from tank water they tend to get a build up on them that causes them to get stuck and fail. I highly suggest keeping the check valve as high as possible above the tank water level.
The bottls is going under the tank. I will have the check valve over the tank for sure. I learned the hard way last time.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts