The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prior this I had 3 batch new born in the large tank are all dead, not sure mama, papa or whatever killed them. But since I make their mama given their birth in the breeder box, took those mama out back to the large tank. Keep these babies in box, they are all survive over 3 weeks now, none die. So I am not sure is that help them or not. But they made it through now.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Do you have fish in the tank? Never heard of CRS/CBS adults being aggressive toward their young. I would say that is not what is killing them and you may want to look at other things.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you feed low protein to your shrimp, especially in Spring, you can most definitely have predation. I have seen it for sure a couple of times and have heard it many more. I do agree that predation was not likely the cause of the entire brood being lost. More than likely it was starvation or some other environmental condition. The breeder box allows you to target feed the babies and with diligence have good success. For me, I use the marina boxes to selectively breed/mate my shrimp...then put berried mothers back into the tank to hatch and raise the babies. That is unless it is a special selective brood which I would like to isolate.
Anyway, great job Master!

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you feed low protein to your shrimp, especially in Spring, you can most definitely have predation. I have seen it for sure a couple of times and have heard it many more. I do agree that predation was not likely the cause of the entire brood being lost. More than likely it was starvation or some other environmental condition. The breeder box allows you to target feed the babies and with diligence have good success. For me, I use the marina boxes to selectively breed/mate my shrimp...then put berried mothers back into the tank to hatch and raise the babies. That is unless it is a special selective brood which I would like to isolate.
Anyway, great job Master!
Thank you for mentioning this.
Can I ask what sort of levels of protein do you suggest? And do you vary it by season or another factor?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.