The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sterbai Corydora that has a growth on both pectoral fins. It looks brownish-white and blends into the fin color. Anybody know what this is a symptom of?

I brought some new fish home and ended up contaminating my tank. I have been treating the main tank using Ich Attack. After noticing this guys condition I made a Methyl Blue bath (3 tsp MB to 3 gallon water) and stuck him in for 30 minutes. I'm not really sure what this is though or if I am treating using the right stuff.

???

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think fungus. When I had ich once, the fungus used it as an opportunity to attack some of the fish. Also I read somewhere that the fungus starts to grow algae(? Or something else) on top of it & turns brown. I don't think actual columnaris will do that. Although I have read that these fungusy type of infections are often combinations of fungus & various bacteria.

If it was me I would evaluate how bad the fish is-if its eating & swimming fairly normally I'd try the baths with the MB, if the fish doesn't go downhill rapidly it's probably not columnaris. In this case after you stop treating with ich x & remove it, I would treat with triple sulfa type med.

If your fish is getting worse I would use kanaplex & furan 2 combo as a bath & treat tank with & feed kanaplex. I never used furan 2 with corys it's very hard on fish so be careful. I wouldn't treat tank with furan2-unless its a hospital tank & well aerated. After the 6 day kanaplex treatment- then see & repeat again if it's working.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks! The fish's health seems stable. I captured it in a breeders float and have been transferring it to a bucket with a MB mix for a thirty minute dip. I have been doing this twice daily the last two days. So far the fin growths have lightened in color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts