The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just wanted to show this huge crayfish I caught in a local pond. I have had him housed in a 30 gallon tank for nearly a month now. He eats algae wafers, shrimp pellets and pressed plankton. When I first got him he was completley covered in algae, after being in my tank for a few weeks he has really cleaned up well and is now a nice clean redish brown. Anyone have any suggestions on what else to feed this guy?

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
You caught him here, in WA? I'm impressed, biggest one I've ever seen! (Sure it's not a lobster?)

I'm thinking he'd probably eat just about anything, including fish.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep caught him in Washington, I caught him in fresh water along with smaller ones. He is very cool I wonder what the state record is.

·
Registered
573 Posts
He'll eat what you gave him, plus live or freshly dead fish, fresh/frozen shrimp from the store, or most any animal that lives in the water. Crayfish and lobsters are scavengers that prefer fresh meat.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Holy crap he's huge!

I used to live in Arkansas where there are huge ponds ALL over. Crayfish run rampant, even in peoples yards miles from the ponds. But I have never seen one THAT big.

I would try to see if he could snag "feeder guppies" or something like that. I've never seen what they eat.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Children.
LOL!!!!!!!

that crayfish was truly incredible. I think it would be fun to set up a custom tank for crayfish someday. At my LFS they have this tank that has a footprint of about 3' x 3', but its only about 10" deep. They use it for freshwater stingrays (haha my LFS has some really weird stuff... they're cool but like $300 each and REALLY difficult to take care of), but I think you could take something like that and turn it into a really interesting crayfish tank. You could have a little school of feeder fish in there so keep the crayfish busy, and feed them algae wafers and shrimp pellets and stuff because they probably wouldn't be able to catch the fish.

I had a bunch of crayfish last summer, and it was so much fun to watch them catch little minnows! They are really smart animals, which you wouldnt exactly expect from a crustacean. They're fun pets, especially when they're gorgeous like the one you caught! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
That is HUGE, and you got him from a pond! Really cool! Could I keep some 'dads with my 3in Convict Cichlids?

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is HUGE, and you got him from a pond! Really cool! Could I keep some 'dads with my 3in Convict Cichlids?
I had a crayfish in with some baby (1.5") Africans, and when it came molting time for mister cray the babies ripped all of his legs off. It was really sad. Im not sure what Convicts would do, but they are cichlids.

Patrick

·
Registered
1 Posts
What to feed Big Crayfish

I once had several baby painted turtles and 1 crayfish and some snails and tadpoles in an aquarium together. One day I came home to find the crayfish had a hold of one of the baby turtles and had eaten its head, neck and into it's body. :help: I was so disgusted, I flushed him. They really do eat ANYTHING.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If theres a hole in the lid big enough for them to fit, they will find it. Found them clear on the other side of the house before lol

Here's a story i thought id share. I caught a large cray fish and a few 3"-4" perch out of my pond years ago. Had them in my 46g and noticed the cray fish would perch on the highest rock with both pinchers stretched out wide. One day i saw a perch cruise by a little too close... The cray fish clamped his tail and i watched as the perch swam clear across the tank and back with him still holding strong.

·
Registered
662 Posts
haha i have noticed that too! every single one of mine will climb to the highest point claws open and sit as still as it can till some stupid fish decides to try his luck.

If theres a hole in the lid big enough for them to fit, they will find it. Found them clear on the other side of the house before lol

Here's a story i thought id share. I caught a large cray fish and a few 3"-4" perch out of my pond years ago. Had them in my 46g and noticed the cray fish would perch on the highest rock with both pinchers stretched out wide. One day i saw a perch cruise by a little too close... The cray fish clamped his tail and i watched as the perch swam clear across the tank and back with him still holding strong.

·
Registered
540 Posts

I wonder if thats the dreaded Rusty Crayfish just because the claws are so big and thats one of the identifying features of the species. But they haven't yet been reported in WA.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts