The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
What, no Arrowana...LOL...
Real nice to see that you can have a carpet/w other than DHG or DBT.
Did you list when it was started ? Very interested in seeing it with the S. Repens
filled in.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nice looking tank! Two things and not to criticize in any way but is that the proper way to say "Repens"? -Honest question it sounds like you say Ree-pens I've always said it with the shorter "e/eh" sound Repens. Really just want to know which is the proper lol.

Also you talked about pinching the lower leaves off before replanting. Leaving some of of the leaves in place lower on the stem (when planting any plant) will help anchor it especially if you have a larger "grain" substrate material.

Oh wanted to add... My S repens doesn't seem to get very tall in my tank and when it does it usually lays over a bit and will throw roots down so I've not really trimmed to propogate it other then the odd tall stem or break that might occur. I've had a couple melt offs with it but it comes back much more dense each time. I've recently added a new substrate so we'll see what it does in that.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have kept this plant for a few years now and it currently carpets nearly the front half of my 125g. Took almost a full year to get to that point. Watch how you clip and replant the clippings. I have had problems trying to get them too close and have had them start to choke out, but you look like you have spaced them well. The root system on this plant is huge for such small stems. A fairly good indicator of your CO2 levels in higher light situations also.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
beautiful tank. I watched the video on mute bc im at work but do you mention if you are going to add more fauna?? something big and colorful like discus or something??
Thanks for watching and i hope you enjoyed! as far as more fish, i just plan on at least doubling the amount of rasboras and neons that i have. Im trying to keep a very small scale with this tank, to make it look larger than it really is, a discus or angel would ruin the scale. other then doubling up on the schooling fish, i plan on getting an army of crystal red shrimp once im able to get the parameters where they need to be.

Nice looking tank! Two things and not to criticize in any way but is that the proper way to say "Repens"? -Honest question it sounds like you say Ree-pens I've always said it with the shorter "e/eh" sound Repens. Really just want to know which is the proper lol.

Also you talked about pinching the lower leaves off before replanting. Leaving some of of the leaves in place lower on the stem (when planting any plant) will help anchor it especially if you have a larger "grain" substrate material.

Oh wanted to add... My S repens doesn't seem to get very tall in my tank and when it does it usually lays over a bit and will throw roots down so I've not really trimmed to propogate it other then the odd tall stem or break that might occur. I've had a couple melt offs with it but it comes back much more dense each time. I've recently added a new substrate so we'll see what it does in that.

As far as pronouncing Staurogyne Repens, ive heard it both ways, the way I say it, and the way you are thinking. Skip to 21:55 on The Green Machine's making of James Findley's aquascape " Reciprocity " and you will hear how they pronounce the plant, and also how they prepared their 500+ stems of it. I figure James knows what hes doing, so i do my best to emulate him, especially when it comes to plant preparation.

skip to 21:55

I have kept this plant for a few years now and it currently carpets nearly the front half of my 125g. Took almost a full year to get to that point. Watch how you clip and replant the clippings. I have had problems trying to get them too close and have had them start to choke out, but you look like you have spaced them well. The root system on this plant is huge for such small stems. A fairly good indicator of your CO2 levels in higher light situations also.

In my 29 gallon tank, i had the S Repens packed together, and i could see some areas where it looked like it was choking each other out, i wont propagate any more for this tank unless i see a couple empty spots once it all grows out, i think ive left enough room for it to look dense, but still leaving each plant enough room to breath. I love the root system on S. Repens, thats a large part of why i decided to use it as my carpet plant. I have a MTS dirt substrate in this tank, and the root system will allow the S. Repens access to as many nutrients as it desires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.