The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been meaning to post this a few days ago but never got around to doing so. When hurricane Sandy hit I was without power for 5 days and I do not have a generator. With that said, my water temp went from the usual 72-74 degrees to a steady 54 degrees. They literally sat there all cuddled together without moving from Monday until the electricity came back on late on Friday. I thew in food and they did not even budge from their spots. I was sure that all would perish including my Ebiten PRL. Once the power came on I only found 3 dead out of 150 shrimp. There is no way they ate them either as they refused to even walk a millimeter. The water also stunk like sewage water so I did a 50% change when the power came back on.

Today, a week later, I have around 10 new berried shrimp so they recovered fairly quickly. Oh yeh, the females which were berried during the outage did not drop their eggs.

This pic shows you how hardy CRS really are. I have A grades all the way up to SSS.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
That's awesome! I was in the same boat. My temp went down to 60 though, and I have RCS. They all made it, and one of the endlers in that tank gave birth. But for CRS to make it like that, I'm impressed!

I hope the weather gives us all a break for awhile!!!

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear mostly everyone made it out okay. Did you stick around or evacuate?
Luckily I work 5 minutes from my house so I could still go and shower at work in our gym. My work has generators which are probably the size of my house. But for the most part I stuck around and kept warm by sleeping in front of my fireplace (we also get unlimited amount of free firewood at work so that worked out well).

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I'm very happy that everything is OK now around your house and your shrimps.
A few years ago we have been in same situation except temperature. it was 103F.Without power for 7 days. I lost everything in the tanks even moss.
Now I have 2 car batteries and dc to ac inverter to keep at least O2 and filters running for 12h per day in case of emergency. Now I’m looking for wine cooler no more than 150W .If hurricane hit I’ll catch best shrimps and will put them in it in plastic bins. Will run my car + inverter to keep cooler running.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I had the same concerns during the power outtage. Mine was out for 10-days before electricity only came back. Somehow all of my CRS survived....my temp dropped to 55F during the after-Sandy blizzard too.

With temps that low I was actually more concerned for my neos as I know CRS actually prefer lower temps compared to neos.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Shrimp handle cold temps especially well, not so well with high temps!

My outdoor pfr pond will freeze on top, but somehow the shrimp will survive and cone back for next year. I just have to remember to punch a hole in the top so oxygen can exchange.

Glad to hear you guys in the northeast made it through the power outages OK though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.