The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a CO2 reg. but I'm still using T8 lighting. I'll probably run low light, low CO2, and PPS ferts for a while to see how it works out. In the meaning time I want to look into new lights...I don't want to get into high light...I'd like to stay in the area of medium lighting. I need a 48" setup (75g tank). Just wondering what the opinions were as to which lights are the least expensive but still worth having.

Do retrofits give more bang for the buck?

·
Registered
754 Posts
If your current strip like is like a perfecto or all glass then no, I probably wouldn't recommend retrofitting htem.

You cany spend like $50 for a 48" dual T5 2x28W or at minimum 2-3x that for a dual T5HO strip depending on brand.

It really all depends on what plants you are keeping and want to keep.

Even if you get a multi T5HO fixture, you can always just use 1 bulb to keep lighting to a minimum.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your current strip like is like a perfecto or all glass then no, I probably wouldn't recommend retrofitting htem.

You cany spend like $50 for a 48" dual T5 2x28W or at minimum 2-3x that for a dual T5HO strip depending on brand.

It really all depends on what plants you are keeping and want to keep.

Even if you get a multi T5HO fixture, you can always just use 1 bulb to keep lighting to a minimum.
No...not using one of those hoods...just shop lights. I figure I could use the shop light housing and install a single T5 bulb with reflector. I am not going for looks, just functionality at this point.

As far as plants...right now all I have are low light plants (not even growing well under current lighting) but I'd like to be able to expand the possibilities. Not sure I want to get up into high light stuff but I'd like to at least be able to do medium and medium high stuff.

I highly recommend the kits at AH Supply. Quality products at reasonable cost. I just upgraded my 55 from PC to T5. One 54 watt bulb and my plants are thriving now.
I was actually just looking at their site. I was also looking at Hellolights. They seem to have decent stuff at decent prices too. I have ordered from them before. I actually have a CF light retro kit from them I never put together. Needs reflectors. Might use that over a 40b tank when I get one next time Petco has a sale.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
You could look into the Zoomed Fixtures that Petco sells, they are great lights, not priced that much, come with suspension system for hanging it. and the reflector is not the greatest so you would not need to hang the light to far above your tank to get the light levels down.

·
Registered
365 Posts
There have been a lot of bad things said about the Odyssea fixtures, but I've been using one for 2-3 months now with no problems. Cheapest fixture out there... I think.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Your local hydroponics shop can fix you up with 24" and 48" T5HO strip light. They should have decent reflectors. Strip and reflector for 48" should run under $50.00

·
Registered
16 Posts
There have been a lot of bad things said about the Odyssea fixtures, but I've been using one for 2-3 months now with no problems. Cheapest fixture out there... I think.
I second that, maybe i'm just lucky but I've been using the power compacts over my reef for about 2 years and no issues other than the bulbs they come with are kinda lame.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No local hydroponics places but I did find a place to order from. I am looking at a single strip Sun Blaze setup. Comes with aluminum housing, reflector, 6500k bulb, all ready to plug and play. $50 each. So I figure two for $100 and shipping is free. Me thinks that will be hard to beat as long as the setup isn't complete junk. A quick search on here tells me that the Sun Blaze stuff is a nice little budget brand that gets good marks. I like the idea of separate units two so I can have as much spread as I want, I can turn each unit on/off as I play, and the reflectors are individual.

Order placed...guess I'll do a little review once the lights get here and I get them working.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Fishneedit has some pretty decent T5HO fixtures that are not too expensive. I got a 2x24 watt 24" fixture for $65 including bulbs.
+1 for FishNeedIt... good quality light fixtures for reasonable prices. Haven't had any problems with mine yet. Great customer service too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ebay. Look up Topdogsellers. They have a Odyessa T5ho light that comes with 3 6500k bulbs, 8 moonlight LED's, and a built in timer. It also has a splash guard. It comes with brackets to mount to the tank, but they are a bit flimsy. I had metal ones made for mine instead, since I really didn't want to try and hang it, but it's $89.99 free shipping. I don't know how other feel about it, but I really like mine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
No local hydroponics places but I did find a place to order from. I am looking at a single strip Sun Blaze setup. Comes with aluminum housing, reflector, 6500k bulb, all ready to plug and play. $50 each. So I figure two for $100 and shipping is free. Me thinks that will be hard to beat as long as the setup isn't complete junk. A quick search on here tells me that the Sun Blaze stuff is a nice little budget brand that gets good marks. I like the idea of separate units two so I can have as much spread as I want, I can turn each unit on/off as I play, and the reflectors are individual.

Order placed...guess I'll do a little review once the lights get here and I get them working.
That's what I'm doing! I have mine now but haven't built the light box yet. Nice little fixtures- the reflectors did fit quite right- the hole for the on/off switch was off so I had to do a little mod with a tin snips- no big deal. The hanging brackets are going to have to be a bigger mod though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts