The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am starting up a 20 long planted shrimp tank next month or so with my paycheck coming in, and need advice on cheapest active substrate. Preferably black or really dark colored to make my blue velvet shrimp's color pop. I plan on carpeting DHG in front and put some Anubias or so as background plants. Also, Java moss!!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Cheapest, high CEC, removes carbonates which allows the pH to drop.

Not black.

Safe-T-Sorb and other montmorillonite clays such as Turface, Oil Dry and some Kitty litters.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Was told by shrimp guys that this was the cheapest active substrate for Caridinas
SL-Aqua Nature Soil ? DiscoBee
$40 shipped. Doesn't sound like a lot in the bag, but it is cheaper than competitors.
If you have high KH in the water you are using, you need R/O water along with the active sub to get KH/pH where you want them.

I'm thinking about trying a high CEC substrate then adding an acidic source like Diana is mentioning. I will see what I can do.
Still searching for more acidic source options though besides the basic tannin/humic acid sources such as peat moss, IAL, alder cones, etc.
I guess you could use high CEC sub and just use remineralizers/buffer products.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have sts 40lbs filled a 40b. It bottomed out my kh and gh. I had to add baking soda and equilibrium so it wasnt zero. It took several weeks then stopped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts