The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been using Flourish Comprehensive for a long time but have always thought it was a bit expensive. I have to dose micros about 2 times a week to keep plants healthy. In 55g this means I go through the liquid flourish a bit fast. I dose my other stuff dry and they last a lot longer.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a cheaper dry alternative to Flourish Comprehensive to dose all the micros?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
CSM+B

It is a dry powder, a blend of micro nutrients in chelated form, so they hold up well in the tank. You can add it to the tank dry, or you can dissolve the powder in water, and make enough for a couple of week's worth of dosing each time. In a 55 gallon you would use 1/4 tsp of the powder 3x per week if you are following the Estimative Index method.
At this rate there are over 100 doses (30+ weeks) in half a pound.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21944

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
+1.. CSM +B is what a lot of folks end up using... (myself included)

Miller Microplex is the other option, a bit less iron, half the boron, and more of the other trace elements, particularly copper (The much higher copper content of Millers makes some shrimp keepers nervous).

That said, neither of these has any NPK content, while Flourish comprehensive does have a small amount of NPK fertilizers (although anyone sane would consider it a negligible amount). KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 are usually used for NPK needs by folks dosing CSM or Millers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts