The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not got the highest budget, and living in the uk there isn't the biggest choice for substrates. Having googled it, I've seen suggestions for miracle grow organic potting soil, but from what I've seen it had been discontinued (this is the closest i could find). Anything that will be good for a moderately to highly planted tank that's on the cheaper side? Planning on a betta and shrimp

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
316 Posts
The link you sent wont open for me. Maybe you could do a layer of aquasoil capped with sand thats moderately good I think. The last resort could be regular sand with root tabs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Get an aquatic compost or “pond soil,” I believe Westland Aquatic Compost is available to you. Cap it with sand or a fine gravel and your all set.

·
Super Moderator
16,108 Posts
and living in the uk there isn't the biggest choice for substrates.
You have access to way more than anyone living in North America. Everything from ADA to really cheap sand products. And tons of aquatics shops. So definitely do some searching to see what's available. You live in one of the best countries on earth for having access to planted tank goods. For real.

But if you're keeping a Betta or shrimp, a soil substrate with a sand cap likely is not ideal. Especially if it's your first tank. Something like pool filter sand or a dark, fine gravel may be more ideal.

Substrate aside, shrimp and Bettas generally don't go well together. Because even docile Bettas can kill and harass shrimp - even if they don't eat them. Most shrimp in the hobby also aren't going to do well in higher temps required for a Betta. I'd pick one or the other as a beginner, not both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts