The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just moved and would like to set up a semi-auto water changing system in my utility room where I could treat the tap water and then pump it upstairs for use in my tanks. To do this I’ll need a pump that has at least a 12 ft head and it looks like I’d have to spend over $100 if I buy a pump built specifically for aquariums.

I was looking on Ebay and there are numerous no name brand water pumps that claim to have heads of over 200 ft going for less then $30 including shipping. Even if the specs are exaggerated they still look like they could have a 12 ft head.

Here is a link to one of them: eBay: CENTRIFUGAL 1/2 HP ELECTRIC WATER PUMP POOL FARM POND (item 180080003762 end time Feb-04-07 11:14:52 PST)

So, do you think I should risk using one of these non aquarium pumps to fill my tanks? I would not use it for circulation so the water would have little contact with the impeller and it would be on for less then 30 minutes each week.

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
754 Posts
dunno but I've got a sump style pump I've used for this in the past and have been meaning to sell it, its an Xstream or something...I'll have a look...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If the pump is not totally sealed then you can get oil or grease into the water. Also many pumps have copper parts that can get into the aquarium. There is a real reason why aquarium safe/drinking water pumps are so expensive.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I use a sealed pump inside the tank to empty out the 220 gallon faster faster, but use a regular Python hooked up to the sink to fill it back up.

Pumping it up to another floor....wow, you're going to need a really strong pump!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts