The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to not spend 100-150 on light, any suggestion on cheaper light that will work for a 10 gallon high tech tank?
preferably on amazon.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Cheapest aquarium bar style light is a beams work DA FSPEC. You could also do a BR30 style smart bulb in a desk lamp. I'm using one 31 inches away and still measuring 50+ ppfd with my par meter, on a 10 gallon you would want to dim it. Another option is an Asta 20 Freshwater. This is your 'expensive' option at 50 dollars.

All available through Amazon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got this light for my 10 gallon. $82.08.

Just asking, what co2 system you looking at? I'm starting a 10 gallon high tech planted too. Actually setting it up tonight, needed to wait for my driftwood to sink.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
114 Posts
Under 100 dollars by a little, the best I can think of is a Chihiros C2 RGB, which you can get on Amazon. Can be used with a controller app on your phone to set schedules, color and brightness and can be repositioned. If you don’t care about rgb, the Chirios C2 is even cheaper. I’ve used a ONF Flat nano + which is a similar light on a 45p high tech, which is 10 gallons and it worked great for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
probably going to go with beamworks da fspec as it is one of the cheapest option out there and the review is great.
the chihiros is a bit out of my price range as it is about 110 right now on amazon.

thanks guys,

·
Registered
43 Posts
probably going to go with beamworks da fspec as it is one of the cheapest option out there and the review is great.
the chihiros is a bit out of my price range as it is about 110 right now on amazon.

thanks guys,
Aww man, make this decision wisely. Lighting is EVERYTHING. I really suggest getting a light that allows you to customize the color spectrum. If you're going to spend money on a high-tech setup don't settle for an on/off light. IMO

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A Fluval Plant Nano would word on a 10g.

Amazon
I have this currently on 1 of my tank, it's ok , i need more wattage than 15 which is what the plant nano is rated at. it's the tank on the bottom left.

Aww man, make this decision wisely. Lighting is EVERYTHING. I really suggest getting a light that allows you to customize the color spectrum. If you're going to spend money on a high-tech setup don't settle for an on/off light. IMO
i think the planted nano allow for this. however i prefer wattage over customization if it allows me to save some money. I do need white/red/blue though.
thanks.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i think the planted nano allow for this. however i prefer wattage over customization if it allows me to save some money. I do need white/red/blue though.
thanks.
The DA FSPEC is a decent light. I own 2 of them. That said, it is a very blue light. You will notice the difference especially put right next to those other tanks. I really like my smart bulbs ;P but if you want an aquarium specific light then I would suggest the Asta 20. It produces great colors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like my nicrew light. Nice and cheap but it gets the job done. Although this is for lowtech but i would imagine it would be just as good for high tech since its super bright and only costs like 30$ on amazon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts