The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows of affordable "lab-grade" microscopes that have good enough magnification to more accurately ID any potential fish/invert or even plant diseases, or better ID algae, or whatever other uses/benefits microscopes would have, rather than having to just rely on tank conditions and symptoms, which knowledge may or may not be entirely correct, where as a microscope would give you a definite ID (if you can find sources confirming what magnification looks like).

I have no idea how much magnification is necessary. 600x? 400x?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows of affordable "lab-grade" microscopes that have good enough magnification to more accurately ID any potential fish/invert or even plant diseases, or better ID algae, or whatever other uses/benefits microscopes would have, rather than having to just rely on tank conditions and symptoms, which knowledge may or may not be entirely correct, where as a microscope would give you a definite ID (if you can find sources confirming what magnification looks like).

I have no idea how much magnification is necessary. 600x? 400x?
Depends what you consider cheap..;)
Binocular Microscope
This binocular microscope for the serious science student is extremely well-priced. Magnification is determined by color-coded 4X, 10X, 40X and 100X oil-immersion objectives and (2) 10X eyepieces, for 40X, 100X, 400X and 1000X magnification. It offers a 110-volt, 1-watt LED substage illumination, interpupilary adjustment, rack-and-pinion coarse/fine focus, an iris diaphragm, and a mechanical stage with an Abbe condenser. It has a comfortable 45° viewing angle. Brand new, and at a terrific price! It also includes a 1 year warranty w/proof of purchase.
Magnification 40X, 100X, 400X, 1000X (oil) Objectives 4X, 10X, 40X, 100X, oil-immersion, color-coded Eyepiece 10X, binocular, (1) reticle Illumination White Light LED substage Stage Mechanical, with Abbe condenser Focusing Rack and pinion course/fine Weight 9 lbs Height 13" Viewing Angle 45°

14414P1 TOP QUALITY STUDENT BINOCULAR MICROSCOPE
$324.95 EACH
Good for cellular id ect..It is more complicated than you think.. but fun!..

for larger thing a stereo microscope is better..This one is weaker than I'd like though.. so just an example..
STEREO INSPECTION SCOPE

Reactions: WaterLife

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
But then if we just need to get a truly close up look at things, the simple digital microscopes on the bay can get you into the 1000X range for a really cheap price like under $20. Running on USB port and with a program for connections to the computer, I find I can see way more than I can ID. I'm not motivated enough to go into study to ID any disease cells! I do like to take a few pictures of really gnarly looking bugs and such.

2MP 1000X 8 LED USB Digital Microscope Endoscope Zoom Camera Magnifier + Stand

·
Registered
173 Posts
Digital scopes basically just record video and use software to allow you to digitally zoom in on stuff. Digital zoom is more or less useless, so I would avoid those. Look into getting a 50x or 60x loupe with a built in light. Amazon has some for less than $15.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.