The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
They are the Fluval M-series heaters. They are not titanium, but are pretty good heaters. I picked up a couple 300w and 4-150w. Great prices. The problem with them is the conflicting information they come with. The package says "submersible" but the heater body has water level marks near the top of the tube. This was done to comply with laws in different countries that have not certified the product as fully submersible. The are fully submersible certified in the U.S. . They also tend to run a few degrees warmer than what the dial says , so keep an eye on your temps when setting them up.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Stopped by Petsmart today. The heater in my Spec V took a dump the other day. Thought this might be perfect timing. They didn't have any of the Fluval heaters on clearance. They were clearing out all the Top Fin heaters at 50% off. I went with another small 15W solid heater instead. If I was looking for an expensive heater in the 300W range I would've been really sad but coughing up $15 wasn't too painful...

·
Registered
789 Posts
They are the Fluval M-series heaters. They are not titanium, but are pretty good heaters. I picked up a couple 300w and 4-150w. Great prices. The problem with them is the conflicting information they come with. The package says "submersible" but the heater body has water level marks near the top of the tube. This was done to comply with laws in different countries that have not certified the product as fully submersible. The are fully submersible certified in the U.S. . They also tend to run a few degrees warmer than what the dial says , so keep an eye on your temps when setting them up.
I always considered the "water line mark" on submersible heaters to be what the minimum water level should be... IE: If not fully submerged, you are supposed to have water at least up to that level to prevent malfunction.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You are correct about the water level marks. The Fluvals have both low and high marks, about a 1 inch range just below the plastic housing. The M-series are 100% submersible despite these markings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts