The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at doing a DIY C02 for my 20 gallon.

I did a search on the site, and I am still unclear as to the science of the C02 diffusor. I'm guessing it is used to disperse the C02 gas evenly into the aquarium water? But looking at a glass diffusor online, never seeing one in person, I'm not sure exactly how it accomplishes that.

Anyways, what are the differences between a diffusor, and say an airstone?

Where can I find a diffusor other than online? (shipping charges are killer)

What can I use as a substitute for the diffusor?

Couldn't I just stick the end of the tube into the reservoir of my hob filter?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
there are numerous means to get the CO2 in the water column. A diffuser does just that...it diffuses the CO2 into fine bubbles that increases the contact surface with the water allowing the water to absorb more. Alot of people will place them right near the outflow of their filters to increase water contact time.

There are tons of ways to do it though...

here is a great place to start..
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

If you shop around on ebay, you can get a glass diffuser for less than 15 bucks. check out one of this sites sponsers... aquatic magic. Here is great stuff. http://stores.ebay.com/AquaticMagic_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
If you want to do diy check out plant guild web site and look at there vortex mini diffuser. Its 49.99 and it comes with tubing and start up stuff for yeast co2. For $50 you can have a bubble counter really nice diffuser and a 2 liter cap ready to go. I use it and its super. Pm if you have questions

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, great article, thanks!

I really like the idea of a C02 bell.

After reading it, it's just really a glass semi-sphere that is placed over the outlet of the tube that traps and diffuses the released C02?

Out of curiosity, with the C02 trapped under the glass sphere, is there any danger of the fish being harmed?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
well there is an extreme circumstance, but in all honesty, i have never heard of it happening, and if it did, a simple water change would dilute it.

the bell is a sufficient method, but you can see in the article that its not the most efficient. there are some here that will say they have success with one way over another, but with DIY CO2, just start with the cheapest method first (IMHO), and go from there.

some people don't like the diffusers simply because they don't want stuff in there tank. Give it a shot and see what happens.

BTW...you can get a really cheap CO2 starter kit from HAGEN.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/nutrafinco2.html

comes with everything you need. FYI...don't buy any refills though of the packets they give you. its just yeast and baking soda.

Here is also a wonderful DIY Co2 setup written by one of the members here.
http://fish.cecolts.com/pics/co2.html
Good Luck to you and post back if you have questions or problems!!

FYI...an airstone works as a decent diffuser also, but they will clog up eventually.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
After reading it, it's just really a glass semi-sphere that is placed over the outlet of the tube that traps and diffuses the released C02?
Forgot to answer your qustion...lol. Yes. It traps the gas under the bell and by it sitting there over an extended period of time, the water will "absorb" the gas.

i have never had success with the bell, you need to get it dead level or the gas escapes easily. Its also "clunky" looking in the tank.

But to each his own....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, awesome advice. I think I will take your advice and start from the bottom up, airstone, and work my way up as I understand it more and see what works best.

What is everyone's opinion on putting the outlet of the C02 in the resevoir right before the water falls back to the tank in the hob? Kind of right behind the filter medium?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
thats actually the one place I wouldn't put it...lol. it may out gas the CO2 from the water. you want to avoid heavy turbulence in the tank.

however, if you fill the water level up high enough so the water is not "dropping" or splashing in from the HOB, then that would be ok. Just put the airstone really far down in the tank to increase contact time.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
For $50 I'm already a quarter of way there for a pressurized unit.

DIY CO2 costs me about $5.

2L bottle (free)
yeast (practically free, I can bum from my grandma, who loves to bake)
sugar (again, practically free, I can bum from my parents)
tubing (who doesn't have some of this lying around?)
Fine airstone (about $3)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I wonder if an air stone is capable enough for a 20 gallon? I think the kit they
have supplies everything except the bottle. They even have the yeast, cap with fitting and the diffuser that works like a champ for a 20 gallon. Oh yeah it also has a bubble counter. Better than an air stone

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
for DIY CO2...you get what you get. You can't regulate the amount of CO2 you get, just make sure thats its making CO2. I got the Hagen kit (the link i put on a previous post) for less than 20 bucks (that comes with the everything including a sealed container, just mix pour close and stick in the tank. As far as an air stone working...why wouldn't it? The mixture is creating CO2 no matter what you are diffusing with.

But like Mr. Belevedere said, once you past a certain amount of expense, you may as well just spend the extra and go pressurized.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.