The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not after a new regulator, but happen to come across these and they seem pretty cheap. Theres always folks looking to pinch some pennies so I thought I'd throw the links out there and see what you all thought. Anyone seen them / use em / know about em?

Primary Beer CO2 Regulators

There as cheap as $32.95 but personally I was looking at the better model like this for $46.95:

The only thing I see off hand is since they are made for brewing they dont have selenoids, and their output hoses are larger. But you could always get inline reducer, etc. By the time you add on the cost of the reducer, needle valve, selenoid, and bubble counter you'd be in the ballpark or a bit higher than the cheapie all in one JBJ and milwaukie units, but I dont know if these might be better?

Edit> BTW they also have 20# aluminum CO2 tanks for less than $100! Thats significantly cheaper than my local welding store selling steel tanks.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Needle valve: $10
Solenoid: $20
DIY bubble counter: $3
Adapter/reducer: $5

That's $38! On top of the $47 regualtor...$85. You're right. You could get a JBJ/Milwaukee unit for this price. =)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
These are supposedly better and after using all clippard parts it becomes a superior regulator by far.

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
why would it be higher quality? my jbj lets co2 out at the rate i want without issue. if you feel the higher cost of metal is worth it to you (unless you put in an oem order), get it for the peice of mind. i doubt you'll see a performance difference.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
but over the long run having a selenoid is cheaper....you use half as much CO2 reducing your CO2 costs which will probably make the selenoid cheaper after about 2 refills.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I gotta think more people are buying home brew equipment than aqarium equipment... :p

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but over the long run having a selenoid is cheaper....you use half as much CO2 reducing your CO2 costs which will probably make the selenoid cheaper after about 2 refills.
True, just saying that you dont have to have a selenoid. Depending on the size of your co2 tank, and your main tank, 2 refills could last as long as some stay in the hobby :icon_wink . Many would rather have the inline Clippard regulator anyhow, rather than the all in ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts