The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 25G flatback hex, a 29G, and a 10G - all need backgrouns. I am not fond of what I have seen at fish stores, so I am wondering what to do. For the 10G, I probably will do what I have done before - use colored poster paper. It does not like water, but is cheap t replace and comes in a variety of solid colors. But the bigger tanks need something else. I am thinking of using soil-colored fabric for tem. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plastic film sounds like a great idea... now to call around and see who has it locally...

·
Super Moderator
11,991 Posts
I have used regular old black garbage bags. I was surprised at how good something so cheap worked.
Definitely one of the best, cheap solutions I have used too!

·
Registered
885 Posts
ive tried the plastic ones from the lfs, trash bags and, also black paper, all of them get water between themselves and the glass giving an unsightly look from the angles.

Painting has been the best imho, lasts forever and doesn't spot up when wet like the above.

·
Registered
42 Posts
flat won't ever be as good as the one with some facture ( I hope that's the right word ) IMO

get a dark paper or paint it black and like someone said "krinkle them up for a textured look"... I will try to post a picture of what I've always been using for my backgrounds. The best thing about it is that it's cheap, looks natural and gives the feeling of depth when you look at it vs the flat backgrounds that are just ... hmm flat =]

good luck

·
Registered
738 Posts
It's more expensive than the other options presented, but I use blue foam-core poster board cut just a tiny bit bigger than the glass back of the tank - then the top and bottom frame hold it in place (though a little bit of tape can be used too).

Kevin

·
Registered
390 Posts
Or, you could do what I did, go to wal-mart and in their fabric section have them cut a black piece of fabric of your choosing to the dimensions needed. I then took velcro squares and places them on the top and bottom rim of the back of the tank. Matched those squares up to the fabric and your all set.

The fabric doesn't have any problem with water whatsoever, and if needed it's easily removable or replaceable for cheaper then what the pet stores are selling plain black backgrounds for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have used regular old black garbage bags. I was surprised at how good something so cheap worked.
nice idea Ed... how are you sticking it to the back glass?! using glue, tape etc???

I'd paint it, but my tank is fully setup, and it's against the wall (bout 6" of space between) :(

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
nice idea Ed... how are you sticking it to the back glass?! using glue, tape etc???

I'd paint it, but my tank is fully setup, and it's against the wall (bout 6" of space between) :(
I just taped it to the top and bottom rims. I tried to flatten it out as much as possible though.....

It may not look as nice as other backgrounds at first but once the plants grow in you can hardly notice it. YMMV.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I use garbage bags on all my tanks. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use shelve/drawer liner that I get at walmart/target. I got it to put under the tank, used the leftover for background worked so well I bought more just for backgrounds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts