The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Eheim 2128 (one of the Pro II series), and I was wondering if anyone had found any good, cheap alternative to the fine filter pads Eheim sells. They work well, but at almost $3 a pop, they're pricey (by my standards). I tried using loose polyester fill material yesterday, but I couldn't get it packed in very well. I was thinking some kind of a bonded fiber fill would work better. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have the 2028. What I have used is a bonded polyester bat that I found at Wal-mart (I'm trying to cure my Wal-mart addiction, will have to find another source :).) It's about 20x20 inches if I remember correctly, not rolled up like quilt batting, probably supposed to be used for the top padding on a foam cushion in upholstery. It's supposed to come in various thicknesses, but all I could ever find at my local Wal-mart was a 2" thickness which was a bit much for my purposes. I just cut out a piece using an old used Eheim pad for a template, then split it in two. It's best to wait to cut the "hole" in the corner until after you split it, so that you can have the bonded side up on both pieces you end up with which will ultimately be on the pump/impeller side (otherwise the piece that's split off the bottom is a bit on the fuzzy side which is probably not a good thing to have next to the impeller.)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I like that Craig. Too bad, I just ordered another box of Eheim white. But there's the next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.