1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
931 Posts
There are actually a number of Chara sp. that grow here in the midwest. I've been meaning to grab some and try it out in my tank, but I keep forgetting to. The Chara here isn't nearly as attractive as C. rusbyana, but it could still make an interesting foreground plant for those who something adventurous in their tank. It smells TERRIBLE though.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I have seen the native Chara here and it forms round cushions of foliage similar to those in those pictures.

Isn't that amazing photography on that site?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
It's very common here in the Florida springs, actually, and it looks just like those pictures. I forgot how beautiful it is! I don't believe I've ever seen anyone keeping it in an aquarium, now that you mention it.

For Florida peeps, it's very common around the Weeki Wachee area (among other places of course!). I've snorkeled above large carpets of it, flanked on both sides by deep red L. repens. (I love spring biotopes).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's very common here in the Florida springs, actually, and it looks just like those pictures. I forgot how beautiful it is! I don't believe I've ever seen anyone keeping it in an aquarium, now that you mention it.

For Florida peeps, it's very common around the Weeki Wachee area (among other places of course!). I've snorkeled above large carpets of it, flanked on both sides by deep red L. repens. (I love spring biotopes).
Church - if you collect any, please let me know. I would like some. Have you ever seen the plant in picture number 24 that looks like a red under-water Poppy flower?

Bill

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Bill, I don't believe I've ever seen those before, no. I can't even identify them... do you know what they are?

As far as the Chara, of course the species we have around here aren't as beautiful as the C. rusbyana, but it's still beautiful when you see it in context. There was a thread a few years ago over at APC where someone posted pictures of some FL springs underwater scapes, and one of them showed a beautiful example of it. I'll see if I can find it...

*edit - well, I found the thread, but the pictures in post #1 were defunct. That was where I first saw Chara in pics, and about a month or so later I went out in search of similar scapes myself, and found it practically everywhere! It's pretty much anywhere in the Springs biotopes where you also find sagitarria and ludwigia around here. I wish those pictures still existed. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts