The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm just getting started on my second attempt at a nice planted tank and I am committed to getting this right. Last time I never got good plant growth (epic algae - leading to jokes along the lines of "Chaos' tank is right") and took down the tank after it sprung a leak.

This is my setup so far (thanks again to Darkblade48 who helped a lot with this):
Acrylic 20g long,
Coralife T5 lamp,
2 bags, black flourite sand.
Eheim ecco 2232
50W heater ( left from my 12g, this enough?)

Planned:
Pressurized CO2
HC and maybe Dwarf Grass
Lemon tetras
some shrimp, whatever I can get probably.

Right now I am planning on emmersed HC growth (I had lots of trouble with it not rooting last time) and am looking for some imput on what to do with the rest of the layout. I like the iwagumi look but realize it is quite difficult to pull off. My main question is, as a beginner, are my chances of success significantly better if I go fairly heavily planted?

At the moment I am planning to order plants for emmersed growth asap. Also, I collected some local rocks and need advice on weather or not to get more (based on deciding iwagumi vs heavily planted).

And now for some pics:

I just put all the rocks in there, this isnt a suggested layout. I will head back for more rocks this weekend if it makes sense to do so.

In the very bottom left there is a sticker which says 'Clear for life" the aquarium brand. Any ideas how I can get it off without scratching things?

Id love some input.

Chaos.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
The black flourite sand is beautiful. I haven't seen many tanks with this substrate and I am intrigued to see the HC growing in it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The black flourite sand is beautiful. I haven't seen many tanks with this substrate and I am intrigued to see the HC growing in it.
Thanks, I am hoping the plants root in it well. Last time all my HC just floated away. Clearly it wont be a problem during emmersed growth though and that should get it rooted well anyway. I think the green on black should look pretty nice.

I went ahead and ordered the HC and hairgrass so I will hopefully receive them Friday and can do some planting over the weekend.

Chaos

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey all,

So, I spent a bunch of time looking at Nature Aquarium contest winning tanks and feeling intimidated earlier and started playing with my layout (and limited hardscape). What i ended up with seems a bit non traditional, or would be different from what I have seen, but I am trying to incorporate at least a bit of what I learned about composition from photography classes.

So, first the white line is just a midline for perspective. I am thinking the following for plants. Im just guessing that there are plants like this for 3-5 so suggestions would be great.

1. HC
2. hairgrass
3. a taller wide blade grass
4. a nice red plant, 8" tall
5. Something tall and green, mostly. I will have to find a pic of one that I like, but may be signifcantly too large.

The kind of idea here is that the plants (3-5) kind of slope up following the lines on two of the rocks.

Also, whatever i do I want the lemon tetras to have a good bit of open space which is part of why I have nearly the whole left side open, while the right should be good for hiding the heater and such.

Chaos

·
Registered
646 Posts
looks like a good plan! i like the slope up on one side. i have a couple suggestions for your undecided plants
3. Blyxa japonica, c. wendtii, or some sort of sword
4. L. aromatica or ludwigia
5. rotala ( i like them all personally) :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would get bigger rocks, since the DHG would cover most of them. Plus, the rocks are way to the left. I would move them about 3-5 inches to the right. Or, if you're getting more rocks, I would get bigger ones to place on the right side side. Make your tank asymmetrical. It looks better that way.

Tip would be base your tank from a tank that you admire.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all, thanks for the feedback.

JannaH - I think the L. aromatica is exactly the plant I was thinking about for five. I love the colors towards the tips. I do wonder how tall it gets (couldn't find a reference) and if I trim it to keep it the 12" or so my tank will allow if I will get that great color. I sure hope so.

malaybiswas and xximanoobxx
- Im going to go 'rock shopping' again Saturday and see what i find. I kept finding cool rocks that ended up being mostly buried and therefore way to large, or so it seemed. These look smaller in place. Still, I think they would stay visible if they are kind of a boundary containing the DHG. The one in the back will get covered, but thats probably ok. I think i will also play around with some other scattered rocks in the HC area. I wish i had more sand so the HC could be made less flat.

Also, the plants come tomorrow and i have an emmersed growth question. Should I mix up some water with ferts and get that into the sand or use to spray the plants?

Thanks, Chaos

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, that's a great thread thanks. I cant tell, because it is so small if it is smooth like the tubiflex or if its segmented like a bloodworm, but that's pretty reassuring that its not probably dangerous.

So, I went ahead and planted the tank and think it went pretty well, though I probably seprated the first pot of HC into pieces much small than needed, but probably didnt hurt anything. I really am amazed by how far you can spread out those little pots.

Now its time for me to be learn some be patient and also figure out all the things I dont have yet, CO2 and Canopy in particular.

So, I have the following ferts. Should I be using any of these now?

Chaos

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice goodies you got there, chaos! Big :thumbsup: to the dry start method.
You probably could've planted the hc even thinner. Some would even recommend cutting each stem into multiple pieces.
It doesn't matter much though, because once your hc starts running you won't be able to stop it!

Goodluck!
-leaf

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Seeing the tank on that lovely desk reminds me of when I had a 10 gallon on top of an oak bookcase. Where it was I have deep water stains. For when you put you hands in and out water drips on the wood. You may want to put something under or in front of the tank to protect the wood of the desk. It looks like is solid maple.

For ferts I would start with the potassium sulfate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seeing the tank on that lovely desk reminds me of when I had a 10 gallon on top of an oak bookcase. Where it was I have deep water stains. For when you put you hands in and out water drips on the wood. You may want to put something under or in front of the tank to protect the wood of the desk. It looks like is solid maple.

For ferts I would start with the potassium sulfate.
Thanks, I like the desk quite a bit and will generally put a towel down when messing with the tank. I got this for free and it would need a lot of refinishing to be nice, but I probably should avoid doing more damage.

For K2SO4, I am obviously not dosing a whole tank, would just mix up a solution to drip on the plants so what concentration makes sense for that?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... once your hc starts running you won't be able to stop it!

Goodluck!
-leaf
That kind of sounds like a problem I would like to have.

To document this for myself and determine if there is growth Ive decided to go the picture route, though ive got so much condensation that only top down would work. On one very small plantlet I can see a difference vs the photos from thursday. (by the way I put a bunch of photos together into the panorama using a free program called AutoStitch.

Also, I just commissioned a canopy ( I have noticed its not a popular idea for a tank which is rimless, but I am going to use one ) which should be done by the time I flood.

Condensation :icon_lol: - Also I mixed up some ferts in water and sprayed down everything today, Some of the higher HC was yellowing a bit compared to the rest.

So, We can see some growth here very quick which is impressive to me. Also, HC apparently gets more 'focused' over time.

November 5, 2009 -

More pics to come as things fill in.

Chaos

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I noticed some algae starting to grow in the 1mm or so of water I have, Happily not on the plants but I would bet on it spreading quick. I kind of buried it, and hope that will slow things down.

Thoughts? Would be kind of hard to get the rest of the water unless I remove the plastic wrap for a few days.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wouldn't really be worried about algae since it can't really proliferate emersed and doesn't seem to effect plant growth. A little excel in the spray bottle definitely wouldn't hurt however. If the water level gets too high from misting use some airline and siphon it out.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts