The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 10g that I've got some RCS, Amano's, and some Platy Fry growing out in. Eventually the Amanos will go into bigger tanks as will the Platys. This tank has mostly a mix of black gravel, Eco complete, and some red Flourite that somehow got mixed in. There's only an inch and a half or two inches of substrate, but plants are growing well. I'm growing out some crypt's, Java Fern, microswords, and a ton of Java Moss. My 20g has several hundred RCS, but it has red Flourite which really messes up the ability to view them. I want to empty out all the RCS from this tank and put them into the 10g. Then use organic topsoil with a gravel cap in the 20g and use it for OEBT's. The tank has alot of large Java Ferns, half the tank is Java moss. Would this help with the viewing of both shrimps?? Or should I leave the red Flourite in the tank and just remove the RCS and add the OEBT's? Also do I need to add more substrate to the 10g??

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you change the graval to topsoil and put in oebt's and rcs you will probaly have a hard time seeing the oebt's but the rcs will actualy be more redder.
Are you suggesting I leave the red Flourite in the 20g where I plan to put the OEBT's? Yes I'll be moving all the RCS to the 10g with dark substrate as the ones I've already setup in there seem to be substantially more red in that tank.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you like the red flourite you can keep it in there, i was just saying that it's gonna be hard to see the oebt's in a dark substrate cause they blend in so well. A lighter substrate will contrast the blues nicely though. I am asumming that you want a higher nutrient soil for your plants? If that, the plants you listed really don't need it maybe just a few roottab's around them, or are you looking to make it look better. For myself i like the looks of a darker substrate, but i do have red flourite in one of my tanks top with fluval shrimp stratum.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you like the red flourite you can keep it in there, i was just saying that it's gonna be hard to see the oebt's in a dark substrate cause they blend in so well. A lighter substrate will contrast the blues nicely though. I am asumming that you want a higher nutrient soil for your plants? If that, the plants you listed really don't need it maybe just a few roottab's around them, or are you looking to make it look better. For myself i like the looks of a darker substrate, but i do have red flourite in one of my tanks top with fluval shrimp stratum.
I don't like the red Flourite especially with the RCS so they are going into the 10g with dark substrate. The 20g will be for the OEBT's. I want the OEBT's to really stand out so I am trying to decide what substrate I want in their tank. I'm not concerned about the plants as it's a bunch of Java Ferns and Java Moss that don't require anything anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.