The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I want to switch from Turface to Laterite capped w/ gravel on my 50 gallons because I don't like the light weight of the Turface. Currently I have fish and plants in the tank. I'll take all the fish out and put them in a bucket and then switch the substrate. Do I have to cycle again before putting the fish back in??? Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Most of the beneficial bacteria in your aquarium resides on the many surfaces that are available to colonize on. So things like your gravel, filter media, plants, the sides of your aquarium, decorations, equipment, even algae will have bacteria thriving on them. Just make sure to keep some of that stuff in tank water so the bacteria don't dry off and die.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
The important piece here will be your filter; if you can keep the filter running then it should stay established.

If you can save some of the old water that also would help.

No matter what, you'll still need to monitor for ammonia spikes. Any kind of big change in a tank can trigger one, and replacing substrate is a BIG change for a tank.

I lost 1/2 my fish in my 90gal after moving it from one room to another, it triggered an ammonia spike I couldn't get under control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts