The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this topic/thread has already been discussed. i plan on doing a complete scape change and need to vacuum out the substrate, etc. i was thinking about taking out all the fish and putting them in a bucket and saving 1/3 of the water. being that the subsrate and media is full of bacteria, do you think it would even be necessary to save the 1/3 of water? i don't want to use water that is contaminated with green dust algae seeing as though it is contagious. i've also noticed that everytime the substrate gets stirred up, i end up with this brown dust all over everything. i don't think i could vacuum out only half or 2/3 and get all of the substrate, that's why i was suggesting not saving any water.

if anyone can throw in their opinion or experience, i would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was wondering the same. I'm going to do a complete tank re-do. If I keep the same filter and just dump my tank now, rinse it down with water, then refill it; will it need to cycle again? I'm going to be using the same media.

TIA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.