The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this JBJ dual gage regulator back in 2009 and it has been great! I chose it since I got a great price ($93 when I was in college) and it had better reviews than the milwaukee regulator one since the pressure was pre set and it came with a 6 month guarantee

I have never had a major issue, once the solenoid got stuck open however a simple cleaning fixed the issue.

recently I started my tank again and just used all the old equipment I had. I'm ok with the old ceramic diffuser, it gets the job done however since I'm a big boy now and have a little bit more $ I thought I would get a nicer cleaner tank and move everything to inline. I acquired the GLA inline diffuser and realized it doesn't work at all, the working pressure needed is 30 psi and mine is set up for only 20 psi

Has anyone modified the JBJ regulator to change to 30 psi?

Do you think if I remove the silver knob in the front I can change it up ?
does anyone know if this is a dual stage regulator or single stage?

I have a manifold on this that I would like to use in the future so I'd like to keep the solenoid and manifold. should I just get a different adjustable regulator and modify this one?

or should I just fork the $ out and get a nice new regulator?

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Has anyone modified the JBJ regulator to change to 30 psi?

Do you think if I remove the silver knob in the front I can change it up ?
I do not have this regulator, but if you are able to pry off the face plate on the front, it may allow you access to a screw where you can change the working pressure (assuming this is not a completely fixed pressure model).

does anyone know if this is a dual stage regulator or single stage?
It is single stage.

I have a manifold on this that I would like to use in the future so I'd like to keep the solenoid and manifold. should I just get a different adjustable regulator and modify this one?
That is up to you.

or should I just fork the $ out and get a nice new regulator?
You can always collect more toys :)

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Lots of decisions that come down to personal choice and spending but one point is to not think of the reg equipment as a single item like they sell them. It is just a collection of parts screwed together so you do have full range of choice on what to unscrew and replace if/ when you like. You've got a single stage, dual gauge reg with a solenoid screwed onto it and manifold screwed on next and needle valves screwed to the manifold.
So if the reg body itself is not putting out enough pressure, it depends on how you feel. I might just go to a home brew website to buy a reg for $50-60 dollars and screw the rest to it.
Something like this one is the type I use.
Not sure their description matches this reg as it doesn't take a screwdriver. That's what the plastic knob does. But the general type is one I like to go by and pick up. Lots of other places and choices.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/4...s-select-driftwood-now-stock.html#post9199873

Then if the solenoid fails approval, change it or the other parts as needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.