The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking to switch over from t5ho to led. However I am not sure which fixture would replace what I currently have which is 2x AquaticLife T5HO fixures (4 bulbs in total) over my 75gal tank.

Can anyone recommend which fixture or fixtures I would need to get to replace what I have currently to match the light output?

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
So I have been looking to switch over from t5ho to led. However I am not sure which fixture would replace what I currently have which is 2x AquaticLife T5HO fixures (4 bulbs in total) over my 75gal tank.

Can anyone recommend which fixture or fixtures I would need to get to replace what I have currently to match the light output?
So about 200w if light and ? "color".
What do you want out if the lights?
Just on/ off?
Dimming?
Color adj?
Budget?
CO2
Ect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current bulbs are 2x 6500k and 2x Flora.
Mainly using them for plants and fish.
Co2 is also injected through a reactor.
As for features, I mean they are nice to have but at the very basic of it a simple on/off is fine too.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
My current bulbs are 2x 6500k and 2x Flora.
Mainly using them for plants and fish.
Co2 is also injected through a reactor.
As for features, I mean they are nice to have but at the very basic of it a simple on/off is fine too.

About the most cost effective choice though you would need at least 2.
3 would be a better output match.

Another 2x choice.

Going ultimate (relatively speaking)
3 ai prime freshwater leds.

Or:

Added another simple "high par" light. Still need 2.
Keep in mind look changed from what you have to wgat you will have.

Leds are typically more a err 3d look.
Color rendition is more on the crisp white side than any "colored up" t5.
Not that the color isn't adjustable but
if critical takes work and usually $'s
There are red green blue only fixtures that lean to your old look.
Nit sure what would be available or cost effective.

·
Planted Tanker
6,078 Posts
If you're growing colorful plants make sure the LED has strong blue and red or you're gonna be disappointed in how the plants look. If you have mostly green stuff its not so important.

If you want power and decent color those sb reefs linked above are pretty good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Really have to figure out my budget on the lights. Here in Canada a 48inch Fluval 3.0 is $300 and if I need 2 of them to get the same output that I currently have it might be out of budget.

However the beamsworks dont look too bad.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Really have to figure out my budget on the lights. Here in Canada a 48inch Fluval 3.0 is $300 and if I need 2 of them to get the same output that I currently have it might be out of budget.

However the beamsworks dont look too bad.
The nicrew uses 660nm reds.

Another "type".

Beamsworks are getting a bit err dated.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Beamsworks are getting a bit err dated.
I'm interested in this comment. From my view, the Beamswork FSPEC has far higher PAR (with good PUR) than either the Nicrew or Hygger and, for me, has the right visual tones. The FSPEC is older, but how does that become a negative as compared to those other two lights?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering replacing my current FSPEC (which has lost, at least, 25% of it's PAR over the years) with a new one. The FSPEC is a secondary light to my primary Twinstar S-series. The FSPEC is very inexpensive, but gives a great bang, for the PAR buck, and makes the Twinstar visual appeal slighter better for my personal taste.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
I'm interested in this comment. From my view, the Beamswork FSPEC has far higher PAR (with good PUR) than either the Nicrew or Hygger and, for me, has the right visual tones. The FSPEC is older, but how does that become a negative as compared to those other two lights?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering replacing my current FSPEC (which has lost, at least, 25% of it's PAR over the years) with a new one. The FSPEC is a secondary light to my primary Twinstar S-series. The FSPEC is very inexpensive, but gives a great bang, for the PAR buck, and makes the Twinstar visual appeal slighter better for my personal taste.
Well, look is a personal choice.

As to "dated" I was referring to a few things
1) Hygger 957 Planted Aquarium Light features programmable, gradual 24-hour light cycle settings ...included automation
2) 660nm vs reg orangy red diodes. Granted it's effect on photosynthesis is err probably a wash, the deep reds and say 7000k clean whites is a nice punchy look.
3) Nicrew doesn't waste energy w/ green leds. (inefficient low PUR)

Beamswork does seem to be the current par leader (based on lumens) but I'd need to verify and losing 25% over a few years w/ the Beamswork could change that IF the lower wattages have better lumen maintenance.
Nicrew Sky due to the 660nm reds "lumens" isn't plant "lumens" (PUR) . Way under-measured if measured correctly.

5200 x .75 = 3900
Hyggar is 3346 out of the box.

All this is more "opinion" atm..

Point was for the o/p to look at options.

Each is very different in feature set and spectrum.

As you see as a set (and most will match moreso then mix) the Beamswork pair could be a bit err "plain".

Any current LED light should have at the least a simple ramp on/off function and dimmable out of the box or, in my opinion... dated. ;)

Reactions: Deanna

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Any current LED light should have at the least a simple ramp on/off function and dimmable out of the box or, in my opinion... dated. ;)
OK, thanks, that all makes sense when viewed, as you said, from the perspective of a new user of LED's in need of good medium light, with timers/dimmers included, and/or a visual color more likely to appeal without another light brand involved.

I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something new going on with recent models regarding wavelengths. So, I'm still good with the supplemental FSPEC, given that I have the separate dimmer for it and the Twinstar driving most of the visual appeal and growth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input. While I know each light will have their own look. I am mainly concerned about matching or improving the light output I have now. I would like to be able to grow an assortment of different plants without having to worry too much about not having enough light or the light not reaching the bottom to be able to grow carpeting plants or even red plants.

At the same time spending 600 dollars for 2 lights isn't really appealing so I am hopefully looking to spend less.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Thanks for the input. While I know each light will have their own look. I am mainly concerned about matching or improving the light output I have now. I would like to be able to grow an assortment of different plants without having to worry too much about not having enough light or the light not reaching the bottom to be able to grow carpeting plants or even red plants.

At the same time spending 600 dollars for 2 lights isn't really appealing so I am hopefully looking to spend less.

Thoughts?
Going down to $440 ..
Ignore what the link says, this is a fw light.
Cheap led floods:

3 Finnex Stingray TWO's is $240 for 3

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are a handful of budget LED lights, usually coming out of China. With a big tank expect to spend a few dollars. I have tried the Finnex Stingray. It works fine but lacks any ability to change light spectrum, a dimmer, timer, etc. that the fanicier lights have. (This may be fine considering you are coming from a T5.) Finnex also makes lights that give you more control at a relatively cheap price. Here are a few other brands that make cheaper lights:
  • Hygger
  • Nicrew
  • Beamswork

I have not tried any of these but I've read some good reviews. Speaking of reviews, Bentley Pascoe has some great reviews and guides to buying lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.