The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have moved old jewel filter media into a new external filter that uses ceramics - how long do you think I should leave the old media in before removing it to establish a colony in the new media? (100litre tank, fully stocked).

Also, does anyone know how the use of seachem purigen would effect this? I know if you put it in before having a colony at all it prevents it from starting, but I can't find info on how it effects a change in filter with old media?

ALSO (sorry, thinking of Q's as I write) with regards to purigen, if x amount of purigen treats x amount of water in a set amount of time before it's exhausted, does using more purigen with less water mean it lasts longer, or expires within the same time period but removes organics faster?

Thanks for any help!

Josh

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Not a Purigen user so how about a partial answer and let somebody else work on the rest?
For the media unless there is real need to move it, I would look at leaving it for a month or until the filter was needing cleaned. A couple weeks might do but the longer the better in my opinion.
To check, you are not thinking of removing/replacing media like filter floss, etc. with ceramic only? The ceramic will not do the mechanical if that is the thought. I think of the ceramic items as water flow changers or bio-media, not good as mechanical.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heya,

Sorry I may have worded it wrongly! No, i still have a coarse and fine mechanical section, it is just the bacteria housing sections il be removing as the new ceramics gain their own colonies. Should i remove the old media in stages? Say 1/4 each time?

Thanks for your reply!

Josh

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry I may have worded it wrongly! No, i still have a coarse and fine mechanical section, it is just the bacteria housing sections il be removing as the new ceramics gain their own colonies. Should i remove the old media in stages? Say 1/4 each time?
Why even switch it out. If you have good ceramic media with a colony, that's all you need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heya,

The colony is currently on jewel sponges rather than ceramics - I want to get the colony established in the new ceramics so that I can remove my old sponges as they don't fit in the filter as well and affect the flow rate etc, I'd rather get them on to the new ceramics as they will be easier to move in future if I upgrade.

Thanks,

Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts