The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of swapping out my aquatek bubble counter/check valve for a fluval bubble counter and a rgular check valve.

question is, how good is the fluval bubble counter and where would iput my check valve?

ihave an inline diffuser. would I need a check valve?

photos would be a great help too! thanks! :)

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I really like the Fluval for the options it gives me on placement as well as the ease of refilling it when the water gets dried out. I use it inline with a Griggs style reactor and down low so when the CO2 does dry the water out and I do want to check bubbles, I find it very easy to just unscrew the lid a tiny bit to let the gas out and water will flow in through the CO2 tubing from the reactor. As long as the gas is sealed, I use no check valves and just let the gas keep the water out of things.
I much prefer having the things I don't need to get to very often located way in the back with the things that I check like the bubble counter or needle valve located up front.

If I went back to using a check valve, I would add it between the bubble counter and the needle valve.
This is my current setup on a 125 gallon . The CO2 comes though the reg to item 1, a Clippard solenoid, up to 2, a Fabco NV-55 and down to 3, the Fluval bubble counter. From there the line goes around the back of the CO2 tank to the reactor.
With this arrangement, I can change tanks without fear of breaking things. I unscrew the reg and lay it and all the "delicate" parts to the left out of harms way. Drag the hulking 20 pound tank out and off I go. I hate to work with the fear that one slip might require replacing some expensive part or another.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Yes, that is the Milwaukee controller. I came into it kind of through luck on trading for a used tank. Now that I've gotten used to it, I have mixed feelings whether I would invest $200 in one. The probes are prone to going bad after a while and they can't be stored dry to avoid ruining them. $30-40 range to replace those. But I also like having a really easy way to see what is happening. That's why I don't always keep water in the bubble checker. If the bubble count went high, the controller would shut it down and if I lose CO2 flow, the reading shows it pretty quick. That is why it is front and center so that I see it every time I open the cabinet.

With the controller and all the other equipment under this tank, it does feel pretty disorganised but it was agreed that this tank had to look a bit better than my normal.
The guest dining room is not where you want your CO2 tank hanging out in plain sight.

Just part of the concessions we make to aquire more space?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have a 125g with pressurized co2 & a milwaukee pH controller too. Love the controller. It gives me piece of mind knowing it will cut off the co2 supply when it reaches the desired pH. Before it I almost gassed my fish twice, once after setting up a new regulator, and another time on an EOTD. Not sure I would spend $200, but I got mine used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts