The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this desk lamp that i got from wmart and I heard a few people say it's good. It has a 6500k light in it and is 27W

My tank is a 3 gallon tank with anacharis and micro sword.

Is this enough or too much light for this tank?

Also, if anyone has this lamp did you keep or change the bulb in it?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That looks awful familiar! It either is the now famous Hampton Bay desk lamp or a very close copy. It uses a single 27 watt bulb, that is actually two two tube 13.5 watt PC bulbs. You can't change the wattage, and as far as I know, there are very few choices for color temperature in a replacement bulb. I used one of those on a 2 1/2 gallon tank and it did very well, probably medium light intensity, but my tank was not as high as yours. It will not be too much light.

·
Banned
332 Posts
You could also move the light closer to your tank, there is no reason it needs to be 5 inches above the water. Is that huge black thing in your tank the filter? If you dont have many fish in it and just plants, you could probably 86 that monstrosity and just do a 1 gallon water change twice a week. I had a similar light over a jbj picotope and it was more then enough light to grow the plants you have. My biggest challenge was keeping the water from evaporating a few inches on a dry winters day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, that is the filter and i hate it, it takes up half the tank. I have 8 RCS and 1 Octo so I'm stuck with it until I get another one.

Thanks for the info on the light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts