The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
It will depend on why you are doing the schedule you were on. If it was to keep the nitrate level down, you will still have the same bio-load and get the same nitrate levels.
If dosing EI and changing water to "reset" things, that will be the same. If you were having to change water to keep ammonia or nitrite down, moving to a bigger, better filter will likely reduce that.

Changing filters may not effect the water change schedule that much but for regular filter cleaning, you can often go much longer.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Too many factors to say for sure how often your particular filter will require cleaning (bioload, filter/media setup, plantload, etc), but in general, canister filters can go much longer between cleanings than HOB filters due to the increase in overall media capacity.

I usually do maintenance on my canisters once every other month or so. But I run low tech tanks and don't overstock.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A test kit is ranking higher on my wish list. I only do water changes weekly because that seemed like a good thing to be doing.

I'm not into EI yet (although I have the necessary ferts) - no CO2.

I should clarify, by cleaning schedule I mean water changes.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Ohhhhh! LOL

The short answer is- your fish will appreciate as many water changes as you can give them. But your plants may not, unless/until you provide them some other source of nutrients.

In a heavily planted low tech tank, you shouldn't need to do frequent water changes. The plants themselves are extremely good bio and chemical filters.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
if you are now using different filter media, like a nitrate reducing pad, then yes you can reduce how often you do a water change, just because you get a new Air conditioner doesn't mean you don't have have to change the air filter.

water changes are for the overall health of the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.