The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Planted Tank friends! This is my planted discus tank project and thought I'd share it here to get people's input and advice.

The details:

Tank
Komoda 120cm x 45cm x 60 cm
Low Iron Glass, Approx. 324L, 12mm Glass, Etched/Sandblasted Logo
ADA Garden Mat 120cm x 45cm with Custom Bamboo Frame

Tank Stand
Custom Marble Top
Custom Bamboo Cupboard

Substrate
1 x Cal Aqua Labs Black Earth Premium Normal 9L + 1L
1 x ADA La Plata Sand 8kg

Hardscape
8 x Pisces Seiryu Stones
1 x Sculpey III Black Oven-Bake Clay 454g

Filtration
2 x Eheim Professional 3e 700 2078 (1 x Back-Up)
1 x Cal Aqua Labs Efflux G3 (17mm)
1 x Cal Aqua Labs Influx X3 (17mm)
1 x Aquaone Tubing (17mm) 3m
1 x VIV Springwasher M

Lighting
1 x 5m RGB LED Strip for visual effects – remote controlled (TBC)
2 x Kessil A360WE Tuna Sun
2 x Kessil A Series Mounting Arms
1 x Kessil A Series Extension Mounts

Heating
1 x Hydor Eth Inline 300W External Heater
1 x ADA Thermometer J-12WH

Plants
Alternanthera Renickii Mini
Anubias Nana Petite
Utricularia Graminifolia
Echinodorus Parviflorus Tropica
Staurogyne Repens
---TBC

Fertilisers
---TBA

UV/Algae Demolition
1 x Twinstar Nano Plus

Plant Tools
1 x VIV Pro-Scissors Wave
1 x Pro-Pinsettes XL

Live Stock:
Show Fish:
Discus
Glass Catfish
---TBC
Clean Up Crew:
Otocinclus (maybe zebras)
Red Cherry Shrimp
---TBC

The tank is planted and filled at the moment, however I am having a bit of trouble with the growth of these plants. I've transferred this log from another forum, so please don't mind how picture heavy this post will be.

Please find attached a little photo log, please don't mind the reflections :p.

1. The Tank Stand (Courtesy of Unique Carpentry & Shopfitting) – Don’t mind Mr. Elephant for feng shui.

2. The Tank - Komoda 'SkyClear' 4FT

3. The Tank Base (Courtesy of Unique Carpentry & Shopfitting) - Bamboo & ADA Garden Mat

4. Filling in the Substrate / Clay Partition - CAL Black Earth Premium Normal & ADA La Plata Sand

5. Hardscape - Pisces Seiryu Stones

6. The Hardware

7. The Monster of Filters

8. Kessil Lighting

9. Planted

10. Filled Tank

Thanks Everyone! Would love to hear your input! :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks great! Good choices on equipment. Go big or go home, and since we mainly set these up at home, might as well go big! Just a thought to add plant height you could add some vallisneria to the back side of your island, it would give some vertical greenery and wouldn't take up space in the rest of the tank, still plenty of space for the discus' and gives more for the otos to graze off of. Good luck with the tank! Looking forward to seeing the Discus' in there!

Sláinte!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the comments guys!

Looks great! Good choices on equipment. Go big or go home, and since we mainly set these up at home, might as well go big! Just a thought to add plant height you could add some vallisneria to the back side of your island, it would give some vertical greenery and wouldn't take up space in the rest of the tank, still plenty of space for the discus' and gives more for the otos to graze off of. Good luck with the tank! Looking forward to seeing the Discus' in there!

Sláinte!
I'm considering putting in some ludwigia glandulosa or maybe some hemianthus glomeratus to add vertical height. Not sure how well they'd go, but its just a thought. I don't think i'll put anything else in until the tank fully cycles, the plants at the moment aren't doing too well...

Perhaps this was done on purpose but I think you are missing some vertical hardscape or plants
Yes, it was done on purpose, but now that I think of it, I think I will add some vertical plants to give it some extra greenery :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Subcribed. Nice equipment by the way. Nice separation of substrate too!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks so much for the comments guys!

I'm considering putting in some ludwigia glandulosa or maybe some hemianthus glomeratus to add vertical height. Not sure how well they'd go, but its just a thought. I don't think i'll put anything else in until the tank fully cycles, the plants at the moment aren't doing too well...

Yes, it was done on purpose, but now that I think of it, I think I will add some vertical plants to give it some extra greenery :)
Cool. When cycling a new tank it's generally considered better to have a lot of plant mass. You could just add some floaters and then remove them later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

Further planted the tank: Got more AR Mini, added S Repens, Rotala Macrandra and Rotala Macranda Green.

The current plant list:

Foreground: Utricularia Graminifolia (melted away, waiting for the other plants to establish before I try it again)
Midground:Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Centre:
1. Echinodorus Parviflorus Tropica
2. Staurogyne Tropica Repens
Background:
1. Rotala Macrandra
2. Rotala Macrandra Green

On another note, it's only been 9 days since the tank was filled and it's still cycling. Ammonia is just under 0.25ppm at the moment.

My pH is currently at 7.4 or so, but because i'll be keeping discus, I've used acid regulator to bring it down (had it lying around and thought i'd give it a try) and soften the water. I want to know what people think of it, because i'm scared that the pH could potentially crash later on if I continue using it.

Also want to know what people think of stability to kickstart bacteria. I've also got a bottle of that lying around, but in my previous tanks, I haven't really seen much difference.

Water is also quite yellow at the moment, will be putting purigen into the canister filter once the tank has cycled to polish the water off, so please excuse the yellow hue of the photo.

The Echinodorus Parviflorus looks like there is growth with that shoot coming from it in the centre. If it is something else otherwise, please let me know :)

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How are you liking the Kessil's? I just got one for my cube tank and I'm seeing some great growth. Do you use a controller for them?
Hi, I don't have the controller yet, but I've heard that the simulation of sunrise and sunset is really good for controlling algae. Let me know if you find out more information :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't heard much about the sunrise and sunset for controlling algae. But I guess it'd make sense. I start my C02 before the lights come on. I'm using an Apex to control my lighting and being able to ramp the color and brightness is really nice. I look forward to seeing your scape grow out though. Should make for a gorgeous tank. Mine always turn into a jungle, but I just love seeing how much everything will grow and love having a ton of different plants.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't heard much about the sunrise and sunset for controlling algae. But I guess it'd make sense. I start my C02 before the lights come on. I'm using an Apex to control my lighting and being able to ramp the color and brightness is really nice. I look forward to seeing your scape grow out though. Should make for a gorgeous tank. Mine always turn into a jungle, but I just love seeing how much everything will grow and love having a ton of different plants.
I wish I could afford an Apex! However for the purposes of this tank, I think a Kessil Spectral Controller would be beneficial. I'll see if I can get one on the weekend to test.

I'm contemplating whether or not I want to keep the echinodorus parviflorus, I feel that it will grow quite large and outgrow the rocks around it. Any plants you'd suggest I replace it with?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wish I could afford an Apex! However for the purposes of this tank, I think a Kessil Spectral Controller would be beneficial. I'll see if I can get one on the weekend to test.

I'm contemplating whether or not I want to keep the echinodorus parviflorus, I feel that it will grow quite large and outgrow the rocks around it. Any plants you'd suggest I replace it with?
Ya. I've seen the Kessil controller and it seems very nice to use. I got the apex for my birthday. Impulse buy while I was at my LFS. Haha

I'm not the best with scaping. I usually just work with what I got and never plan which plants I need. But I think the echinodorus parviflorus will be ok. Just trim off the leafs that grow long stems and force it to stay short and dense. That'll keep things to scale within the tank.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

My tank is finally cycled!!! ;) It only took 13 days to be exact! The quickest cycle I've ever achieved.

Since then, I've put a bag of purigen into the filter. Hopefully it clears my yellow water overnight/the next few days. Otherwise, I'm waiting for a pump I ordered on eBay to make water changes.

I also finally got a Kessil Spectral Controller to put my lights on timer and stimulate sunrises/sunsets.

Also got a VIV Polka Glass Plant Pot and stuffed it with Flame Moss.

Lastly, got myself 6 Red Cherry Shrimps (3 male and 3 female) to get my RCS colony started. Unfortunately my camera doesn't take nice photos of them.

Also worked out that the Echinodorus Parviflorus is shooting out a flower, which is why there's the random single stalk from the centre!

Will be getting a CO2 system next Saturday, stay tuned for more. Thanks for reading :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.