The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*EDIT* A name has finally been found. You may have noticed (if you have my eclectic music tastes) that my tanks get named after songs that get stuck in my head when I'm working on them. Recently all of the tracks I grew up with during the last decade of the Cold War (man I miss growing up in the 80's) have been flooding in. Wire Train's Chamber of Hellos is what stuck with me during this scape because all of my fish always swimming up to the glass to say "hi" when I'm working on it. It makes me feel like Neptune.

First off, I know. All of the folks who loved my Black Hills scape & didn't want to see it changed will be disappointed in this one & wonder why I rescaped. It was just something I needed to do for me to keep my brain in the game. It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission anyway. With that being said, I'd like to introduce you to my TANK O' ADDICTIONS.

FLORA:

Anubias:

Anubias Bonsai
Anubias Nana Gold

Buce: (I know there's a million different names for one plant, so those of you in the know, PLEASE point out corrections!)

Arrowhead
Black Lable
Brownie Ghost
Brownie Grande Red
Brownie Helena
Brownie Purple
Brownie Red
Blue Hades
Dark Purple
Firebird
Greesow
Kedagang
Long Purple
Opera
Phantom Mini
Pink Martini
Red Gaia
Red Hades
Red Sekadu Velvet
Shine Blue
Silver Clone
Sintang Mini
SP T-4

Carpet:

DHG
Marsilea Creanta

Moss:

Fissidens Fontanus
Loxogramme Sp Wave Moss
Notocyphus Lutescens

Stems:

FAUNA:

Pygmy Corys
Black Bar Endler's
Orange Fin Tiger Endler's
Peacock Endler's
Tiger Endler's
Rainbow Endler's
Snakeskin Orchid Endler's
Platinum Blue Ivory Mosaic Halfmoon Guppies
Like 8 plus drops of Endler's/Guppies/HYBRIDS? that haven't grown up enough to identify

Golden Bee Shrimp
Neon Yellow Shrimp
Orange Sakura Shrimp
Sakura Fire Red Cherry Shrimp
Sakura Red Cherry Shrimp

Assassin Snails
Tiger Nerite Snails
Zebra Nerite Snails
Ramshorn & Pond Snails
Sun Thorn Nerite Snails
White Mystery Snails

LIGHTING:

ARCHAEA Ultra-Gro X 2

GLASSWARE:

Cal Aqua Labs- Influx X3
Efflux F3

FILTER:

Fluval FX6 (Merry Christmas to ME)

SUBSTRATE & HARDSCAPE:

ADA Amazonia

Driftwood Bonsai Trees

Seriyu stone from @Mrbluepanda -Thanks for putting a special package together for me, you ROCK! & yes, that pun was intended.

CO2:

Atomic V1
Atomic inline diffuser
Atomic bubble counter

MODS:

Frosted Back Glass w/ Krylon Frosted Glass Finish
More painting for special effects may be upcoming...

Distinct possibility that I'll get some stainless steel tubing & a tubing bender for custom lily pipes & hard-lined CO2

Might add a soapstone & alabaster carving of The Endler's/Guppy Goddess for my male fish to worship...just debating on the scale.

-WARNING: BRUTAL HONESTY AHEAD- With psych meds that finally work, therapy that has done wonders, being 10-20 years removed from the deaths of 36 of my Friends & fellow Soldiers, & some hard sobriety under my belt (trust me, I could drink any 3 of you under the table with a 40+ beer a day average. They estimated I had a .6 daily BAC. Yep, legally dead.) I have found enjoyment again in color. LOTS OF COLOR. 60's acid trip color. Color in plants, in fish, in shrimp...you get the picture.

Why would I let y'all in on what most people would keep quiet on & consider an embarrassing secret? If just one person reads this & gets the help they need, or gets into this hobby & finds it as therapeutic as I have, my mission is complete. I used to crawl into the bottom of a bottle to self-medicate the PTSD away, & now I get shoulder deep in an aquarium. Not once have I even thought about drinking since I picked up this hobby. Plus, I'm not embarrassed about my past. You've gotta "suck it up & drive on" if you want to get better.

I originally thought that I'd just get a couple of Endler's & Killifish & call it a day. That plan lasted till I finally tore myself away from the tank after staring at them & losing 2 1/2 hours of time. I either got lost in watching them or was abducted by aliens. :alien: I had to get more! More Endler's, more killies, & some fancy guppies. I'm interested to see what comes out of the live-bearer crossbreeding, & keeping a unique strain going allows me to get a new tank... ALWAYS find ways to rationalize getting a new tank to your significant other, ALWAYS!

I took what I learned from my previous scape & made the adjustments (I didn't leave myself enough room last time) to create the planted sunrise. I'm not including the bonsai pine trees, but I might snag one of the small to medium bonsai-ish ones in the future. I've got to get my tank carpeted 1st at the very least. Since this is all about color, the bonsai won't be a moss tree & what I have planned may or may not work with the scape, but it's something I haven't seen done before.

Yeah yeah, pics will be coming soon, don't you worry. I'll be busting out the Nikon 1 J3 after I get the post planting dust to settle & making sure I've got everything right where I want it.

A couple cellphone teasers of my workspace:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Whoa, you were the Walking Dead :frown2:
Welcome back to the land of the living, even if it took an alien abduction to do it (well, it was either that or MTS).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa, you were the Walking Dead :frown2:
Welcome back to the land of the living, even if it took an alien abduction to do it (well, it was either that or MTS).
Had to spend 5 days in the ICU the 1st time I detoxed. They were amazed I could walk a straight line with that much alcohol in my system. That's what 20 years of practice gets ya.

I'd been trying to kick it for the past few years, & it just goes to prove me right & previous VA shrinks wrong, that I was drinking because of the PTSD. Now that I've got a good handle on the PTSD, even on my worst day, I don't even consider drinking an option. I know you can do the math on what my drinking tab came to when we'd come up there to visit family. Plane tickets were cheaper. Not proud of it, but I don't beat myself up over it either.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone is about to get their fins slapped off them, or slime slapped out of them. I don't know who the culprit is but, it seems every time I turn around I've got floating uprooted plants. Wait one... My Household 6 was telling me I had a listening problem & to prove it whispered "Next paycheck you can spend $500 on fish stuff". I damn well heard that! Come on next Wednesday! Now where was I? Oh, does anyone have any idea who's undoing all of my hard work? Some of the snails are quite large, & I even found one of them crawling down the outside of the tank this morning...took me 2 minutes of staring at it & wondering what was wrong with the picture to figure out, but I digress. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting closer to completion. A few more plant orders, receiving the static cling white film for the back of the tank, & trying my hand at some stone carving later in the week to make mini Asian lanterns. I'm not posting pics of the progress till sometime next week though...sorry. After that, I will start on the most expensive part of the tank- BUCE TREES! I'm trying to go with the most colorful strains for that. I've also got 2 batches of Endler's (?) Guppies (?) that just dropped over the past couple of days that I'm excited about seeing what I've got. Getting closer to having Hybrid Hillbilly Fish!

I'm also looking at getting a lampworking setup & attempting to make my own glassware. I'd like to come up with a shrimp & fish fry safe intake.

Thanks to everyone who was wondering where I've been, by the way. On a personal note, the VA screwed up (*gasp* say it ain't so! That'd NEVER happen!) & gave me a lower dose of the mads I'm on & it caused a PTSD & depression flareup. If I wasn't playing Fallout 4, I was just sitting in front of the tanks staring at the fish & trying to get my head in a better place.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The updates on your tanks keep getting fewer and farther between. What gives? :)
Coming soon! I must have reworked the scape 20 times, but I think it's at a place I'm semi-satisfied with. I promise that pics will be coming by the end of the week. Hope you enjoyed your summer weather for Christmas! My son drove back to West BY GOD Virginia to visit his friends & my parents, surprised he got a deer in that weather.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Coming soon! I must have reworked the scape 20 times, but I think it's at a place I'm semi-satisfied with. I promise that pics will be coming by the end of the week. Hope you enjoyed your summer weather for Christmas! My son drove back to West BY GOD Virginia to visit his friends & my parents, surprised he got a deer in that weather.
You just can't leave things alone! Looking forward to the updates though!

And yeah, the weather around here has been unseasonably warm. Today was the coldest morning so far at 15 deg but it's supposed to get back into the 40s by the end of the week. First Christmas I can ever remember wearing a tshirt :). I'm not complaining though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You just can't leave things alone! Looking forward to the updates though!

And yeah, the weather around here has been unseasonably warm. Today was the coldest morning so far at 15 deg but it's supposed to get back into the 40s by the end of the week. First Christmas I can ever remember wearing a tshirt :). I'm not complaining though.

In the spirit of not being able to leave things alone, pics have been moved back to later THIS week. But I'll drop this hint: BUCE BONSAI TREES! Plus I'm turning my Household 6's tank into my buce collection/shrimp breeding/hybrid Endler overflow tank. I can say that because she doesn't read the forums. To her, I'm just rescaping her tank. >:) I'm also in the process of ramping up "Divorce Papers" into an Anubias & buce grow-out & stem propagation tank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A comment on Mystery Snails...

I'm really happy I snagged some Mystery Snails. They are one of the nicest looking things I have added to my tank, & are extremely interesting to watch...BUT...THEY CAN TELEPORT! Did anyone know that, & if so, why wasn't I made aware of this?!?! Here I am watching my big white snails, my Household 6 asks me a question which I turn to answer (3 whole seconds mind you) & upon turning back, the snails were all 1-2 FEET away from their previous positions! I'm not talking about them HALO jumping from the top of the glass either. I guess that's the "Mystery" in Mystery Snails. If you ain't got em, I highly recommend em!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The water ain't that cloudy, the frosted back glass makes my iPhone take squidgy pics.

There ya go @bk. I'm busting out the Nikon 1 J3 tomorrow to see if I can get something clearer.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I love the buce trees! They kinda remind me of something you'd see in the bayous... not sure why, but they do. :) That frosted back would be great for a black water tank... it would still let the light through all sides the tank, but keep it from looking like a glass of bad iced tea. I'm going to subscribe to your thread!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I've scraped off the frosted paint on the back glass with a razor blade (that was fun) which definitely helps. That was about 95% of what made the water look cloudy. I've got some more plants coming, so I'll have new pics up by the middle of next week... I need a new 120 to deal with my collectoritis. Plus I'll FINALLY take pics with my Nikon, which will be able to capture the Endler's & guppies in all their glory.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DISASTER! So, I had surgery & the hospital also broke my nose 2 weeks ago. I've been down in excruciating pain even with the Vicodin & the tanks all went to hell since I wasn't able to work with them. Dead fish, dead shrimp, dead plants, my beloved buce trees mostly dead & overtaken by algae. Now I have to try to nurse all of the survivors back to health. While this is all bad news to me, it'll be great news to folks like @Bartohog & @Mrbluepanda who always seem to get the majority of my VA Disability check lol. On the bright side, I can breathe out of my right nostril for the 1st time in almost 40 years...& I get to go plant shopping again...& I think I'm going the spiderwood & Seriyu route instead of my usual mini landscape style. But it'll still be "Black Hills Dutch™" I'll have to edit my stock list, since all of my guppies except 3 babies bought the farm. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts