The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an idea I wanted to run by you all. I was thinking about breaking up some flower pots and attaching moss and or riccia to them and using that for the foreground of an aquarium. I have peacock gudgeons and American flagfish that could use them as potential spawning sites along with kuhlis that i'm sure would appreciate them.

My questions

Has anyone tried this?

Dry Start Method?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Got an idea I wanted to run by you all. I was thinking about breaking up some flower pots and attaching moss and or riccia to them and using that for the foreground of an aquarium. I have peacock gudgeons and American flagfish that could use them as potential spawning sites along with kuhlis that i'm sure would appreciate them.

My questions

Has anyone tried this?

Dry Start Method?
I did try something similar, but I used slate pieces instead of terra cotta pots. I attached moss via a dry start method. It grew slowly because I used a low light. I messed up big time and let it get too wet in there, and had some type of algae breakout within the moss. pretty much ruined the whole project lol. live and learn

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question, how well did chop up the moss. Thinking I'm gonna make it almost like a paste and spread it on there.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more ?

Would sanding the surface of the pots with coarse sandpaper help give the moss a surface to stick to?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about ferts could I use either liquid ferts or use a miracle grow solution to either soak the pots in or spray on the moss while its growing? Would this help?

I think I might try this and if I do I will report back with results.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Another question, how well did chop up the moss. Thinking I'm gonna make it almost like a paste and spread it on there.
I had a lot of moss to do so i squeezed out the water, and threw it in a blender. Then I took that blended moss paste and spread it over my rocks.

One more ?

Would sanding the surface of the pots with coarse sandpaper help give the moss a surface to stick to?
I would think that sanding the pots would make it stick better.

What about ferts could I use either liquid ferts or use a miracle grow solution to either soak the pots in or spray on the moss while its growing? Would this help?

I think I might try this and if I do I will report back with results.
No clue, maybe you should try this on half and see if it makes a difference! Don't forget to report back here ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.