The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of setting up a 10 gallon high tech tank, with ADA Amazonia and paintball CO2. I intend to grow mainly red Rotala and Ludwigia species and a carpet of DHG Belem.

I currently have 4 23 watt (100 watt equivalent) 5000k CFL bulbs from Home Depot (ecosmart brand). They give off a pretty white light. They are in 5.5 inch metal clip-on reflectors. I was thinking of having them only a short distance above the tank to the point where they are almost resting on it. With my intentions in mind, should I use 3 or 4 bulbs? The tank has a glass cover that does dim the light somewhat.

Also, would it be helpful to add a 10 wattReef Sun bulb? One half gives off 6500k light while the other gives off actinic light.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The screw in 50/50 bulbs are pretty much useless.
Daylight ~6500k spiral lamps would be better for your tank then 5000k. Two would be my normal recommendation for a 10g tank.
Don't place them close enough to the water to be easily splashed. They should never get hot enough to shatter, but too close might make tank maintenance more of a problem then it should be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.