The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am setting up a new planted tank, dimensions 24"Lx14"Wx7"H, and boughta 13W 6500k CFL.
I am planning to grow a Dwarf Hairgrass Carpet, so I want to know how far to position my light from the tank.

I have an adjustable clamp light, the ones from Home Depot, so that can allow me to lower or raise the light as needed a few inches. But i have a couple questions.

1) Should I invest in a fancier adjustable desk lamp that will allow me to optimize my setup? If so, which do you all recommend?
2) Is a single 13W 6500k enough for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thank you so much in advance guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
a 13w cfl can def grow a hairgrass carpet low tech. I have cfls on a few tanks. i had a monte carlo carpet in a 5.5g under one 13w for around a year until I highly neglected that this spring. ive never had such a shallow tank though (7"). That will get some serious light to the bottom of that if you have that light fairly close. I run mine anywhere from 3-6" from the water surface but they are used on a common 5.5g, 10g, and a 20L. 20 has several lights on it and the other two just one. I think youd still be able to get your carpet with one of those bulbs if you have the light raised high enough. too low and you'll get algae being so shallow. plus with the length of your tank the light would need to be raised up enough to get enough spread across the bottom. may just have to experiment with height to find the sweet spot if you're going with that setup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.