The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I have a 4x65 W Obit light fixture from current USA. It is about 3 years old and I have already replaced one ballast. Now, two lights connected to a ballast are flickering badly, and one is very dim. It may be that the ballast has gone bad. I have swapped out with space bulbs and know that the bulbs are good.

So -

1. Is it common for ballasts on a Current USA fixture to out like this in a 3 year period ( 2 ballasts in the same period)?
2. This is probably the ballast, right? Do ballasts typically fade out like this, or do they usually go at once?

THanks!

Patrick

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive had the same fixture for almost 3 years and im starting to have the same problems. Probably the ballast because i bought new bulbs and the problem persisted. On mine the flicking is not too bad, and those are the ones that are only on for 8 hours.

These fixtures are not up to the quality of others i have owned, namely the All Glass fixtures.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i would place my money on the bulbs. esp since the ones are dim looking.

i rcently got a 2x65 fixture and with the lights on i could comfortably look at the bulbs directly. i got my new ones in and when i switched them on it was very unpleasant to look at them

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is definately not the bulbs :(

i moved the bulbs from the working ballast into the suspicious one and had the same problem.

Hmm....replacement ballasts for Current-USA products are easy enough to find on the web, and are not too terribly expensive...problem is, it'll be a week before I get one and I gaurantee that my P. Sellatus, L. Aromatica, and R. Macranda will be in BAD shape by the time I get it.

Funny how this stuff hapens....I was just looking at the tank last night thinking "this may be the best it has ever looked".

;)

PS - check out the sig for my latest pictures of my planted and Cichlid tanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
spypet i wouldnt worry about the ballast going. they generally last a VERY long time. i still have a cheapo magnetic one from my parents aquarium that still works and its the original one. and to make it better, its 16-17 years old. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spypet -

A couple of things:
1. Current USA ballasts do go bad, but they are cheap to replace ($40) and it only takes about 10 minutes. You can buy them at a dozen places (google "orbit replacement ballast"). I am NOT a handy person and it took me 10 minutes.

2. Mine may have gone out becuase I have my light fixture plugged into the same outlet as my kegerator ;). I believe I went about 3 years in my old house without a problem, then I moved and went to the shared socket....that is when both died. NOW - they may have a lifespan of 3 years, or, the shared socket may have something to do with it.

Who knows.

Patrick

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Resolution -

I bought a replacement ballast from an onlne dealer.

The funny thing is - while waiting for the ballast to show up I moved a 56W fixture to cover for the missing 130W. The tank did much better with the lower light. Less algae, way better growth. As soon as I added the 65W bulbs back on the tank the GDA immediately returned.

I ended up buying 2 40W bulbs to replace the 65W bulbs to lower the light by 50W total.

We'll see how that does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts