The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was really excited about how easy this reactor was to build. I used the GE
"Opaq Whole House System" filter, with a 1" PVC pipe in the middle, and two 1/2" barbed connectors with 3/4" threads screwed into the in and out ports.

All seemed well but then I noticed that my Eheim 2213 started leaking at its gasket, about a drop a second, as if the output has now been restricted and the pressure built up inside the filter. At first I thought that perhaps the PVC pipe inside the reactor was too long, restricting the outflow from the reactor, so I cut off another 3/4" or so, even though I think it was already about 1" or more off the bottom. This didn't make any difference.

Thoughts? Advice? It's so simple that I can't imagine where the fault could be. The Eheim is new and has never leaked before.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Where exactly leaking from? Where the pump head meets the body?
If so inspect the gasket for any signs of nicks or debris, if it looks good apply a light coat of Vaseline to the gasket. That goes for the double tap gaskets also.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

Double check that the Eheim doesn't leak when the Cerges Reactor is not connected. That way you eliminate one possibility.

If the Eheim doesn't leak when not connected to Eheim, you know the problem is with the Reactor. Make sure you bleed all the air out of the Reactor body by pressing down the reg purge valve on the top of the filter housing. This may be causing back pressure into your Eheim.

Double check that the Eheim doesn't leak when the Cerges Reactor is not connected.

So I was really excited about how easy this reactor was to build. I used the GE
"Opaq Whole House System" filter, with a 1" PVC pipe in the middle, and two 1/2" barbed connectors with 3/4" threads screwed into the in and out ports.

All seemed well but then I noticed that my Eheim 2213 started leaking at its gasket, about a drop a second, as if the output has now been restricted and the pressure built up inside the filter. At first I thought that perhaps the PVC pipe inside the reactor was too long, restricting the outflow from the reactor, so I cut off another 3/4" or so, even though I think it was already about 1" or more off the bottom. This didn't make any difference.

Thoughts? Advice? It's so simple that I can't imagine where the fault could be. The Eheim is new and has never leaked before.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple of thoughts:

Double check that the Eheim doesn't leak when the Cerges Reactor is not connected. That way you eliminate one possibility.

If the Eheim doesn't leak when not connected to Eheim, you know the problem is with the Reactor. Make sure you bleed all the air out of the Reactor body by pressing down the reg purge valve on the top of the filter housing. This may be causing back pressure into your Eheim.

Double check that the Eheim doesn't leak when the Cerges Reactor is not connected.
Thanks. That was going to be my next step tonight. The throughput of the GE water filter is something like 700+ GPH, while the throughput of the Eheim is only about 116 gph, so I highly doubt it's that. However, my knee jerk reaction was to post a question to see if anyone had run into this problem.

The filter has only been running for about a month, and I bought it brand new. However, compared to how snugly the top of my other Eheim (2215) went on, I found this one to be fairly loose when I was putting it together. However, I didn't think much of it then, but now I remembered.

It may be that by moving the filter around when I was hooking up the reactor I jostled it just enough to cause the o-ring to unseat. I ordered a new o-ring, just in case, and will try to play with the filter tonight. Perhaps a small adjustment will fix it for a while.

Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took the filter apart, vaselined the heck out of the o-ring and put it back together. At first it appeared to have made no difference, but after the filter stood for a minute no leakage was visible. A few hours later, no leak. Still compared to my 2215 the top feels flimsy, loose. The little clamps aren't really pulling the impeller housing taut. Oh well, I ordered a new o-ring from ebay, just in case. Time will tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.