The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get the parts for my Cerges reactor. I see that the water filter housings are 2 1/2 inches or 4 inches? Does it matter?

Also, does it matter what housing to get? Prices seem to be all over the map, all seem to have a small percentage of one star reviews talking about cracked housings and floods, even top brands like GE and Culligan have reports of cracked housings.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You almost definitely want the 4" housing. As far as brand, I would think any reputable one will be fine. You're going to find negative reviews on anything you're trying to buy, so I wouldnt let that dissuade you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You almost definitely want the 4" housing.
Do you mean a housing 4" in diameter or one that takes the 4" internal filter?

I've looked at a lot of photos and since I know the filter housing is 10" tall, man, they all look like they are about 4" in diameter, which means they take the 2 1/2 filter. (And of course we never use the filters!)

For example, the Culligan WH-S200-C uses a 2 1/2" filter Culligan WH-HD200-C can take a 4" filter.

·
Registered
676 Posts

I've looked at a lot of photos and since I know the filter housing is 10" tall, man, they all look like they are about 4" in diameter, which means they take the 2 1/2 filter. (And of course we never use the filters!)

For example, the Culligan WH-S200-C uses a 2 1/2" filter Culligan WH-HD200-C can take a 4" filter.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was measured by the filter diameter. In that cae, you want the one that takes the 2.5" filter.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I went with is the 4.5" x 20" housing. The more contact time the CO2 has with the water the better. I went with the filter in the link. It's really a well built housing and I am happy with it so far.

Oddly enough, when I bought mine only a couple months ago, both the 10" and 20" models were $10 less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086XFC665/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_urx8FbX98R162?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with is the 4.5" x 20" housing. The more contact time the CO2 has with the water the better. I went with the filter in the link. It's really a well built housing and I am happy with it so far.

Oddly enough, when I bought mine only a couple months ago, both the 10" and 20" models were $10 less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086XFC665/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_urx8FbX98R162?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Good to know!

I thought clear was better so you could see it working or not working. Then again, I guess if you are getting bubbles in the tank you know it isn't working.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good to know!

I thought clear was better so you could see it working or not working. Then again, I guess if you are getting bubbles in the tank you know it isn't working.[/quote @NotThePainter - many people go with clear units on the 10" housing. I would have preferred clear too but the price was almost double and, even though I'm great at justifying unneeded money spent, I couldn't justify this one! :)

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts