The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my cylinder hooked up to my SuMo regulator, passed leakcheck. Bubble counter is filled with mineral oil, tubing is hooked up alright, and passes leakcheck. Leakchecked every inch of tubing, the connection at the bubble counter, all of that passed.

Working pressure set at 30psi, set to about 6bps. I don't see anything coming out of the ceramic diffuser, so I switch it out for a spare. Let that pressure up, and nothing happens. Cleaned both diffusers with bleach, rinsed up and everything, put back in the tank, and again, nothing happens.

I have to crank that needle valve up to 20+bps to get anything coming out of the diffuser. Thinking that this may have cleared any clogs, I turn it back down to ~8-10bps and the diffuser goes quiet once more.

Heading out soon to get new tubing. Anybody have any ideas what else I could try?

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Take the diffusers off your tubing and insert just the tubing into your aquarium.

If your current bubble rate is 6 bubbles per second, with the tubing inserted in your aquarium, you should see lots of bubbles.

If not, then the problem is not with your diffuser, but as HD Blazingwolf mentioned, a leak somewhere. I have also run ceramic disc diffusers at 5 PSI with no problems.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The answer to your current predicament is an in-line CO2 reactor. That is, unless you're more interested in seeing the fancy little ceramic disc than seeing consistently positive results. Do I sound biased at all?....

Haha! Seriously, you will never regret the DIY CO2 reactor. Check my 10 gallon (retired) thread to see my build project (You'll have to hunt for it). Cost me very little to build it and it's been SOLID for over three years with constant use and NO MAINTENANCE!!

Good luck with your situation!

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
If after 10-15 minutes, you've still got any sort of flow through the bubble counter, and your diffuser is still not putting anything out, you have a leak, somewhere between the bubble counter and the diffuser. And with that much flow, if you haven't found a leak, you forgot to check something (also check tubing to make sure it's not punctured).

If it's a JBJ-style bubble counter, there are 4 places to check for leaks - the two hose connections (or hose connection and threaded connection), and the two plastic cylinder to brass cap connections.

My experience with JBJ bubble counters has been wholly negative. I've had two crack on me, the check valves have failed in all 4 of them that I've used, and I regularly have leaks at the bottom thread, with or without the rubber gasket and teflon tape (I've tried it all). I don't know if you have one of these, but I expect it's the culprit if you do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check your check valves... I had a plastic check valve placed inline with a brass one because I was getting water creeping toward my regulator from my reactor. Recently, I noticed that my bubble count was dropping and adjusting the needle valve and working pressure had no effect. Turned out the CO2 disintegrated the plastic check valve, effectively clogging it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.