The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I was hoping for some more up-to-date input. I am thinking of assembling a central filtration system. I have a few FW tanks that I would like to link together. I don't care about the cost, but more of the ease of use and lack of work. I am not home too often right now, so when I am home I don't want to constantly be cleaning my tanks. I have a 100G, 55G, 20(H)G, 10G, and possibly more soon. Would anyone care to provide any ideas or links to information on how to properly build one of these systems. If I didn't provide enough input, I would be more than happen to explain in further detail.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Simply Wow! That was great information. Truly awesome. Most of the tanks will be in the same room, the 100 may not be. If I can plum it in, I will, otherwise I will just get a standalone wet/dry for it. Piping can be exposed to an extent, but I can come up with ways to hide or cover it. There is no floor drain. It will be a finished room on the bottom floor of a house (concrete slab beneath). When I set this up full scale with automation equipment and storage basins, it will be on a sealed concrete floor with multiple floor drains. For now it will be a small setup. If I cannot find a way to prevent a possible overflow, I won't do it till I get the new room set up.

Thanks,

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoppy,

I agree with you. I will still need to clean the inside of the tanks. The part that takes the longest for me is the water changes and filter changes. Plus, it can get real messy. With a central system, I will be able to drain and fill tanks/sump easily with valves. Also, the filters are all in one central spot without having to worry about breaking the seal on a canister and creating a slow leak. Also, I am aware that if I am going to dose, I will be dosing a ton due to the water volume. Not sure what I am going to do yet, but I am toying with the idea. I had some ideas similar to this in the past, but they weren't very elegant and quite complex. Better to plan and decide not to do it, then go for it and make a big mess.

Thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts