The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which is the best centerpiece fish for my tank?

• Angelfish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female Betas

• Bolivian Rams

• Gourami

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Other (comment)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I took a break from fishkeeping and recently started back up with a 55g Dirted/Walstad tank. The idea is a low maintenance community tank and I'm looking for stocking suggestions.

I currently have:
20ish RCS
2 Mystery Snails
5 Kuhli Loaches
4 Female Swordtails
1 Male Swordtail (kind of aggressive. May return him if he continues to be a problem)
6 Otocinclus

Because of their blue color, I'm considering adding 8 Cardinal Tetras later this week.

The tank parameters are:
78*F
7.2 PH
Medium-Heavily Planted

So, that brings me to the centerpiece fish...
I originally planned on a single angelfish, but it sounds like it may make a meal out of the tetras. That said, my LFS has a ton of juveniles and they're too small to mess with them currently.
Does anyone have a different suggestion? I'm kind of over male betas, but could consider a pair of females...

Thank you,

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Some species of gourami won't eat the shrimp. The angle fish definitely will eat them. I know some people have had luck with bettas not devouring all the shrimp they see but that is not me. For the rams... I hear mixed results so I vote gourami, get one of the smaller species like female powder blues, or sunset.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldn't keep cardinals in such a small group, personally (I have 28 currently in my 36" 75g, and that's a decent group).

I vote for 75 cardinals as the centerpiece -- way more epic than any of the suggested fish. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't keep cardinals in such a small group, personally (I have 28 currently in my 36" 75g, and that's a decent group).

I vote for 75 cardinals as the centerpiece -- way more epic than any of the suggested fish. :)
I'm going to go pick up 10 today and see how they react to my swordtails (specifically the male). If they school, then I may stay at that number. If not, I'll consider getting a few more.

Some species of gourami won't eat the shrimp. The angle fish definitely will eat them. I know some people have had luck with bettas not devouring all the shrimp they see but that is not me. For the rams... I hear mixed results so I vote gourami, get one of the smaller species like female powder blues, or sunset.
I had two male betas in a single 75g years ago. It was heavily planted and they didn't touch the shrimp or fight each other. I had another male beta in a 4g tank that would eat every shrimp I put in there. It really is a crap-shoot.

That said, I think you've convinced me to stay away from the angelfish. I've heard too many horror stories about them in community tanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cardinals don't swim in tight schools, at least once they’re comfortable. In my 85, they would hang around singly or in little groups but they never really swam in formation.

they’re very pretty little fish, but they’re more shoppers than schoolers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cardinals don't swim in tight schools, at least once they’re comfortable. In my 85, they would hang around singly or in little groups but they never really swam in formation.

they’re very pretty little fish, but they’re more shoppers than schoolers.
Update: my school of 10 Cardinals seem to stick together pretty rigidly. There are no predators and even my unruly male swordtail seems to completely ignore them 🤷‍♂️

That said, I'm no closer to finding a showpiece for my tank...I think I'm over the idea of an angelfish at least. Leaning towards a pair of Rams or a Gourami (I know very little about them other than they're related to Betas).

Any other thoughts?

Here's my tank currently...
Plant Water Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts