The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an ADA Mini M tank. I'll be using Soilmaster select (Charcoal) for the substrate.

I'm planning on keeping smaller rasporas and shrimp in this tank.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on a "centerpiece" (or pieces).

I prefer the first piece by itself. Anyone have any other opinion/ideas on this? And yes - I should have put it against a more solid background - sorry about that.

Thanks.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

This:

or this:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i like the 2nd pic. i think you should use ADA AS because it is an ADA tank, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
You're not playing around when getting back in to this hobby are you?:icon_roll

I personally like the first one as well! I'm not sure how it will look with substrate though, I know it can look different...

So I'm thinking fill it up with substrate and see how it looks... Is there anyway to take piece one and turn it around? Or basically look at it from the opposite side? How does that look?

This should be a good nano....

-Andrew

Edit, Hell talk about ninja posting!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Andrew,

The reason I have it turned this way is because of the opening on top... I have to the hollow faced forward.

I'll try to snap a pic from the other side but I think this side is sooo much better.

Thanks for the opinion folks - keep them coming please. Maybe I'll get a background and take the pics over. It would certainly help with viewing.

s

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... and yes, my photography skills (for lack of a better word) are not too hot.

Pic 3 (basically identical to Pic2)

Pic 4 (reversed piece)

Pic 5 (tried other side - opened it up a bit)

·
Registered
773 Posts
I like the first picture better, with the wood on the right hand side. The two pieces of driftwood look very crowded.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I like this 2nd pic setup. In fact I would use that wood piece on the left hand side as a barrier/wall and have that right hand piece as a forefront object. Like having the back left hand side slope high there (using the wood a barrier wall) and then slope it downward to the front right side, while placing that other wood right where it is.

Just throwing it out there. :)

This:

or this:
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
845 Posts
That way you can plant behind that wood barrier; on the raised platform area, then in front have some HC. ???

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Very unique wood piece you got there. What does it look like laying on its side?

Also, I think until you get the substrate, you can't really place the wood. You might bury some of in the substrate, make it lie on an angle, etc.

Anyway I like Pic4, but a little more to the left.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'd avoid the idea of a "centerpiece." Try to come up with a plan that's more complex than that.

By buying ADA, it kind of gives me the impression that you really care about appearences quite a bit. If you want a truly stunning scape, put a lot of thought into it before starting. If that means patience, and taking your time, then that's for the best.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice piece of wood you got there. What light do you have? Is it the ada one? If so the light has a "lower light" section on the left side that extends about 2 inches into the tank. Just keep that in mind when planing your aquascape. Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No light yet. Still thinking on that one.

Steven, I'm not in a hurry, just "playing" for now. I do have a few plant cuttings coming that I need to get in some water. I also need to learn more about water parameters, and how to deal with them.

My past in "planted" aquariums is basically a 55g with stock light. The *only* reason it worked, even a little bit, is because I inadvertantly discovered that ghost shrimp make nice little algae cleaners. Four of them kept that tank spotless.

This time I am determined to make a nicer, albeit smaller, tank. The reason I went with this tank is because on a smaller tank - you end up with all "frame" if you do not go with a good tank. The visual lines on this tank are very nice.

From looking the tank over I am also convinced I could make one myself. I may try it.

Thank you for the feedback people, I very much appreciate it.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Lol, truth be told I really like Pic 4 with the wood reversed, I think if you did that then used the other peice to make it look a bit bigger and more interesting it could come out REALLY nice, but scaping is Very opinionated~ so do what you like!

Can't wait to see more updates!

-Andrew

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 2 cents>

I would go with pic 3. However, if I were to go with pic 4 (reversed)..I would move it to the left a couple inches. I might have missed it..but how big is this tank?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is an ADA Mini M tank - I think it works out to 5.5 gallons.

I've actually played with laying down this piece. I have no substrate yet to work with, so that would great improve the visuals I'd think.

Once I get my substrate in, I'll snap a few more shots of what I'm thinking about.

Thanks!

s

1 - 19 of 19 Posts